Re: updated document with possible directions for SWRL

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider (pfps@research.bell-labs.com)
Date: 12/08/03

    Some comments.

    peter

    > % suggestions on directions for SWRL 12/02/03
    > % by Benjamin Grosof
    >
    > Here's a quick list of possible directions for SWRL:
    >
    > o expressive features to extend to incorporate:
    >
    > explicit equality

    How is this different from sameAs and differentFrom, which are already in
    the proposal?

    > n-ary predicates

    How can a rules proposal that builds on RDF do this?

    > logical functions

    What do you mean by logical functions?

    > sensor built-ins,
    >   e.g., datatype comparisons and arithmetic conversions cf. Mike Dean's note

    Umm, I don't view datatype comparisons as ``sensor'' built-ins.

    > some of Lloyd-Topor transformation,
    > e.g., disjunction in the body (and not just within complex class descriptions)

    This was discussed at length in last week's call and could be problematic.

    > modules and importing

    What is missing here that cannot be handled by owl:imports?

    > skolemization, existentials, blank nodes:  there's a set of issues here

    Agreed.  There are lots of possibilities.

    > more general sensors, e.g., to call databases or knowledge bases via
    >  web service protocols

    Hmm.  There are two issues here.
    1/ Accessing information that is not in RDF/OWL/OWL Rules.
    2/ Accessing information using services.
    It seems to me that both of these are the province of a broader effort
    within the W3C SW effort.

    > effectors, i.e., actions triggered by conclusions

    I wonder how this can be reconciled with a logical view of rules.

    > negation-as-failure, prioritized conflict handling, scoping for nonmonotonicity

    There are a number of things that can be said here, but most of them have
    more to do with RDF and the SW as a whole.

    > classical negation and strong negation

    Ditto.