Re: Concrete Syntaxes

From: Harold Boley (boley@informatik.uni-kl.de)
Date: 11/12/03

    Hi Mike,

    > Here are some suggested changes for sections 5 and 6.  If
    > others agree, I'll be glad to make them.
    >
    > The intro to section 5 seems a bit out of date.  I'd suggest
    > something like
    >
    >   The XML Concrete Syntax is an augmentation of the OWL Web
    >   Ontology Language XML Presentation Syntax with elements
    >   from the RuleML XML syntax.  This has several advantages:

    Let's keep the symmetric "combination" or "synthesis", as
    discussed:

    The XML Concrete Syntax is an combination of the OWL Web
    Ontology Language XML Presentation Syntax with
    the RuleML XML syntax.  This has several advantages:

    > I'd like to modify my previous suggestion that we use one
    > namespace.  Where we're borrowing elements directly from
    > owlx, I think we should use owlx:; otherwise, I think we
    > should use swrlx:.

    I then propose to also keep our previous clear indication
    for the RuleML namespace. Such multiple namespaces made the
    OWL RuleML combination immediately possible: ruleml:imp, etc.

    > Any XML element should include an
    > explicit namespace.  We should use swrlx:Ontology because
    > it's an extension of owlx:Ontology.  The owlx:name or
    > swrlx:name attributes will correspond to the containing
    > element.

    Well, swrlx:Ontology is an extension of both owlx:Ontology
    and ruleml:rulebase.

    > I'd like to rename section 6 from "Mapping to RDF Graphs" to
    > "RDF Concrete Syntax".

    Fine with me because the new XSLT mapping is not worked out yet.

    > Corresponding to the above suggestion for section 5, all
    > classes and properties in section 6 should use the swrl:
    > namespace, except those directly referenced from owl: or
    > rdf:.

    I remember we wanted to call this swrlr: rather than swrl:
    (like it was owlr: rather than owl: since neither XML nor
    RDF is the 'default').

    Best,
    Harold