Re: notes by Benjamin from today's JC telecon on Rules Literequirements, expressiveness, work items, action plans, schedule

From: Harold Boley (boley@informatik.uni-kl.de)
Date: 08/09/03

  • Next message: Frank van Harmelen: "Re: notes by Benjamin from today's JC telecon on Rules Lite requirements, expressiveness, work items, action plans, schedule"
    Hi Benjamin and All,

    > issue: restrict to Datalog?  [Benj]

    > - binary Horn FOL with possibly further restrictions

    Binary Datalog is certainly a (modest) possibility.
    It's also one of the RuleML sublanguages:

    http://www.ruleml.org/dtd/0.8/ruleml-bindatalog.dtd

    We defined it as a restriction of N-ary Datalog:

    http://www.ruleml.org/dtd/0.8/ruleml-datalog.dtd

    Bindatalog is currently prefix or postfix:

    <!ELEMENT atom ((_opr, (ind | var), (ind | var))
                        | ((ind | var), (ind | var), _opr))>

    This could be extended to infix:

    <!ELEMENT atom ((_opr, (ind | var),       (ind | var))
                        | ((ind | var),       (ind | var), _opr))
                        | ((ind | var), _opr, (ind | var))>

    > Harold:  possible issue of essential expressive limitation arising from
    > combination of finite lists with binary relations
    > - may not be able to show the general case of the usual reduction of
    > n-ary to binary

    I actually meant the following:

    N-ary Datalog is closed w.r.t. bounded lists, since any
    argument aI containing a list of fixed length L can be
    'flattened' to a subsequence of L arguments (N=M+L-1):

                  aI
             /----^----\
    r(a1,...,[e1,...,eL],...,aM) --> r(a1,...,e1,...,eL,...,aM)

    This can be continued recursively, for any eJ that is
    again a bounded list, etc., down to a fixed depth D.

    The result of such flattening of a given KB utilizing
    "Datalog with bounded lists" still gives us an N-ary
    Datalog KB.
    (In practice 'bounded' means rest variables, like X
    in [e1,...,eL|X], are forbidden on all list levels.)

    A given binary Datalog KB, however, will not normally
    be N=2 after flattening.
    (I had exemplified a binary-to-ternary leap at the end of
    http://www.daml.org/listarchive/joint-committee/1420.html.)

    Best,
    Harold