RE: what is a rule?

From: Wagner, G.R. (G.R.Wagner@tm.tue.nl)
Date: 03/04/03

    >> although we can come up with a formal account for a specific type
    >> of rule, I think we should better not try to find a definitive formal
    >> account for "rules", in general.

    > Unless we do, it seems to me that the discussion is vacuous.
    > We literally do not know what we are talking about.

    Notice, you may define KIF, OWL, LBase (or whatever) rules,
    but you are not in a position to define "rules", in general.
    (Do they define "numbers", in general, or do they rather
    define natural, rational, etc. numbers?)

    >> At the problem domain level, rules are statements that express
    >> (certain parts of) a business/domain policy (e.g., defining terms
    >> of the domain language, defining or constraining domain operations)
    >> in a declarative manner

    > Please say what is meant by 'declarative' here.

    "Declarative", here, means not specìfying the details of how to
    implement a policy but only specifying what constitutes the policy
    at the highest level of description (with preconditions and
    postconditions of implied actions).

    "If any 3 of the named analysts report a strong buy on the same  stock
    within the same day and before the market closes, then buy 1000 units  of
    that stock."

    >> At the (platform-independent) computational level, rules are formal
    >> statements that operationalize domain policies and can be easily mapped
    >> into executable statements of a programming platform.

    > That seems to cover any programming platform at all.

    Not really, because you want to have a kind of direct support here.
    E.g., SQL systems directly support many important types of integrity
    constraints (by means of CHECK, CONSTRAINT and ASSERTION statements),
    while C++ and Java do not.

    >> Rule languages used at this level are RuleML 0.82, SQL-99, OCL 2.0, ISO
    Prolog or KIF.

    > KIF is purely an assertional logic, and cannot be 'easily mapped' into
    > executable statements.

    So, KIF rules cannot be interpreted/executed by any inference engine?

    >> They may, for instance, specify reactions (e.g. for specifying the
    >> reactive behavior of a system/agent in response to events)

    > in what sense is a 'reaction' anything to do with reasoning??

    I normally reason before I react :-)

    -Gerd