Re: Action Items

From: pat hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 02/12/03

    >Pat:     Sending his concerns about the notion of  "rules"

    This probably deserves a book, but I will try to summarize.

    Basically, I no longer know what this discussion is talking about,
    since the word "rules" has become so all-encompassing as to be
    effectively meaningless; it seems that any computation whatsoever can
    be classified by a systems of 'rules' in some sense or other. So
    "rules", "rule system", etc., have become simply words meaning
    'computational specification' or 'program'.

    So what? Well, there are several consequences.

    First, admitting that this is so (if it in fact is) frees up the
    discussion: to introduce "rules" it is not necessary to use something
    that would be classified as a 'rules language', for example: any
    computational formalism will do. Since in practice it is rather hard
    to stop people writing code in their favorite programming language,
    this would also have the effect of corresponding to social reality.
    In fact, the overall picture that one is then left with is this: the
    mechanisms available to the SW consist of content languages for
    expressing and transmitting propositional content (RDF, DAML, OWL
    etc) and code which is used to manipulate it. Any code, written in
    any way anyone wants to. That is a free-for-all kind of picture which
    I am reasonably happy with. It goes along with the
    let-a-thousand-flowers-bloom kind of attitude in the W3C community,
    which I find quite refreshing. However, if this is in fact the case,
    then let us be open and honest about it. In particular, any
    discussion of semantic relationships between the program code and the
    content is then out of place, or at least should be conducted
    entirely in terms of entailments in the semantics of the content
    language, which need have no relationship whatever to the semantics,
    if there is any, of the programming language used to specify the
    processes which act on the content.

    Second, I have the impression - ignore this remark if this is a
    mistaken impression - that some members feel that "rules" or maybe
    "rule systems" comprise a(nother) distinctive fundamental approach
    to, or paradigm for, computational descriptions, one that can perhaps
    be classified with the Turing machine/sequential-instruction paradigm
    or the OOP paradigm or the recursive-equations paradigm, and might be
    seen as an extension or generalization of logic programming and
    production rules. On this view, it is not entirely vacuous to claim
    that 'rules' are an appropriate programming style for application to
    the SW; but in this case, I would like to see this claim defended, as
    I for one do not feel inclined to accept it, and certainly not
    without some detailed discussion of the reasons for it and the claims
    that this particular paradigm is supposed to have over many others.
    Certainly it cannot claim to have wider influence or acceptability
    than, say, OOP programming, so presumably the case must be based on
    some perceived technical advantage. To make this case would require
    that the nature of the paradigm be spelled out in more detail, so
    that any technical case can be adequately evaluated. In particular, I
    would want to know why the DAML committee is spending so much time on
    this topic, which seems to have nothing particularly to do with DAML.

    Third, there seems to be a presumption that 'rules' are somehow
    closer to logic than other programming paradigms. Words like
    'assertional' were being used in the telecon discussion, for example,
    with an approving tone of voice. But if the term "rule" is this wide
    in its scope, then there is no particular relationship between rules
    and logic at all, any more than between rules and numerical
    simulation or rules and graphics programming.  Prolog is a perfectly
    general-purpose programming language. So I would like to invite
    anyone who feels that there is some special connection between
    'rules' and logic, particularly SW logic, to spell this connection
    out in enough detail that it can be examined critically.

    -----
    aside.
    I think that the presumption of such a connection is based on a
    series of historical misunderstandings.

    First, the word 'rule' is already used in logical metatheory but in
    quite a different sense, as in 'inference rule'. It might be worth
    expanding on this a little. The "rules" used in typical logic
    programming systems - which can be loosely identified with Horn
    clauses, let us suppose for the moment to simplify the discussion -
    are like logical sentences, NOT logical inference rules. The thing in
    a 'rule system' which corresponds most closely to a logical inference
    rule would be the actual code of the unification algorithm and the
    backward-chaining search process. Inference rules are not logical
    statements: to identify them is a category error. (Lewis Carrol wrote
    a famous imaginary dialog which illustrated the error over a century
    ago, and it was considered a typical elementary student error even
    then. )

    Second, the logic programming tradition has unfortunately confused
    what is in fact a very clear semantic distinction. Contrary to
    standard LP doctrine, logic programming is not logic. Programs are
    not assertions, and algorithms are not logic plus control. I know
    this goes against what Kowalski said; at the time I also said that,
    but we were both wrong. The analogy is seductive but fundamentally
    misleading, and it is misleading in a way that matters centrally to
    the semantic web. What Kowalski should have said was, algorithms are
    logic plus control modified by a closed-world assumption. This is why
    I do not feel that logical programming should have any central place
    in the SW technology, and why its presumptive claim to do so is based
    on a semantic mistake.

    One can characterize the semantic distinction quite precisely and in
    very general terms: Ask the question, is the domain of discourse of
    the language required to satisfy the second recursion theorem (ie to
    be closed under minimal fixed-points)? If so, the language is a
    programming language of some kind, and it talks about domains which
    are in some sense computable. If not, it is an assertional logic and
    suffers from the expressive limitations enforced by Goedel's theorem.
    This is a *fundamental* semantic distinction.  Logic is the latter;
    logic programming, like all other programming, the former.
    Closed-world assumptions, negation-by-failure and variety of other
    nonmonotonic devices belong naturally in the former kind of semantics
    framework, but are directly and fatally invalid in the latter.
    Minimal model semantics belong naturally in the former but are
    impossible to adequately formalize in the latter.

    So, are rule languages in the former or latter category? It seems
    that some are in one (Horn clauses), some in another (Production
    systems, logic programming). To me, this makes the broad
    categorization of 'rule system' worthless and potentially dangerous,
    since it blurs a centrally important semantic distinction.  Content
    languages for the interchange of propositional content on the
    semantic web cannot be restricted to computable domains; to do so
    would be fatal for the intended uses.

    </aside>
    ----

    Fouth, while I am not opposed to attempts to classify kinds of
    "rules" or to give a general characterization of what "rules" are or
    are not, I do not see how any of this is centrally relevant to the
    DAML committee or to the SWeb more generally. I wish enthusiasts of
    the "rules" paradigm well, and am happy that "rules" interest groups,
    working consortia, etc. are being formed, I guess; but I do not see
    any particular reason why their business should be conducted in this
    forum.

    Amplifying this point, I think that there is an argument which has
    been implicitly accepted which goes roughly as follows: OWL is not
    expressive enough; it cannot express quite a lot of logical
    statements, for example. In order to provide the needed expressivity,
    we need to add the ability to express these 'missing' logical forms,
    and that is what a Rules Language is for. On this view, then, Rules
    are something like the next step on a process of discovery which aims
    to creep up Tim's famous layer cake. The trouble with this idea is
    that we do not need to inch along this slowly and carefully. That is
    like using rock-climbing tools to walk along a highway: we know where
    it goes, it has been bearing motorized traffic for years, there is no
    need to pretend to explore it carefully. It leads to first-order
    logic; and so why not just say this at once and stop pussyfooting
    around? On *this* view of "rules" , note, they really are just Horn
    clauses. They are not logic programs or a new paradigm for
    computation; they are not inference rules or production systems or
    anything else: they do not involve minimal model semantics or closed
    worlds or negation by failure. Their semantics is Tarskian, simple,
    obvious and thoroughly understood, and they are part of the content
    language, not code for manipulating the content language. If this is
    what "rules" are, then I have no problem with them, but there is no
    need for us to spend time to define them; they are already defined.

    So, it seems to me, either "Rules" refers to a rather small thing
    which is already done, and which we can simply agree on, stop
    discussing and then move forward; or else it refers to something so
    big and so underdefined as to be useless and more of a distraction
    than of utility; or else it needs to be defined, and argued for, much
    more carefully than I have seen so far.

    Pat

    IHMC					(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
    40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
    Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
    FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
    s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam