RE: Slides "RuleML Meets RDF" for today's Joint Committee telecon and RDF's bNodes

From: Boley, Harold (Harold.Boley@nrc.ca)
Date: 11/05/02

    Dan,

    in the telecon the same issue was brought up. Currently RuleML doesn't have
    particular representation for RDF's bNodes. We briefly discussed using
    anonymous logical variables, empty or gensymed URIs, or an explicit
    (builtin)
    element.

    Looking at the RDF Model Theory edited by Pat, we are still open to various
    possibilities for "simply indicating the existence of a thing, without
    using,
    or saying anything about, the name of that thing"
    (http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#unlabel).

    It now is clear to me that anonymous logical variables are no solution,
    since
    they are universally, not existentially, interpreted in facts. For example,

    "bNode001   has creator   Ora Lassila"

    cannot be represented as the Prolog fact ("_" indicates an anonymous Prolog
    variable)

    has-creator(_,"Ora Lassila").

    or the RuleML fact ("<var/>" indicates an anonymous RuleML variable)

    <fact>
     <_head>
      <atom>
        <_opr>
          <rel
    href="http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/index.shtml.rdf#Creator"/>
        </_opr>
        <var/>
        <ind>Ora Lassila</ind>
      </atom>
     </_head>
    </fact>

    because it would mean that Ora created everything, e.g. making queries like

    has-creator("http://www.w3.org/People/DanBri","Ora Lassila").

    or

    <query>
     <_body>
      <atom>
        <_opr>
          <rel
    href="http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/index.shtml.rdf#Creator"/>
        </_opr>
        <ind href="http://www.w3.org/People/DanBri"/>
        <ind>Ora Lassila</ind>
      </atom>
     </_body>
    </query>

    wrongly succeed.

    I now think RDF's bNodes are more akin to some of the many uses of null
    values in
    relational databases or, perhaps, closer to RDF, in object-relational
    databases.
    A quick Google search revealed a related remark in "Topic Maps and RDF"
    (http://www.isotopicmaps.org/pipermail/sc34wg3/2002-August/000495.html).

    Null values are absent from Prolog, but in Dagstuhl discussions with Jens
    Dietrich
    (http://www.jbdietrich.de/about.html) we thought they would be important in
    RuleML
    anyway (he is working on RuleML extensions for relational databases).

    So, to leave open the thing created we could assert
    ("<ind/>" would indicate a RuleML null value of type 'individual')

    <fact>
     <_head>
      <atom>
        <_opr>
          <rel
    href="http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/index.shtml.rdf#Creator"/>
        </_opr>
        <ind/>
        <ind>Ora Lassila</ind>
      </atom>
     </_head>
    </fact>

    Yet, this would not give us the local existential scope of RDF's bNodes.
    We hope our analysis of the RDF Model Theory will lead to a good solution
    for
    RuleML bNodes as well.

    Perhaps we should also have a closer look at eigenvariables in Lambda-Prolog
    (http://www.cse.psu.edu/~dale/lProlog/).
    Maybe we can even learn something here from the discussion of the "line of
    identity"
    in Charles Sanders Peirce's Existential Graphs
    (http://users.bestweb.net/~sowa/peirce/ms514.htm).

    Ultimately, we may need explicit (existential) quantifiers for glueing
    together
    a conjunction (or a rulebase) of facts.

    Harold