Re: finite universes

From: Ian Horrocks (horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk)
Date: 09/25/02

    Pat,

    Axioms that I write down do not assert anything about *the* universe,
    whatever that is, they just constrain the kinds of of models I want to
    reason over in some particular context. E.g., in a database context,
    querying could be viewed as saying something like "assuming that what
    I have here are all the tuples/elements in the universe, does it
    follow that ...". This does not mean that I am asserting that what I
    have here really are all the tuples/elements in *the* universe.

    Taking your argument to its logical conclusion would mean rejecting
    pretty much any assertion you could make as it is bound to be false
    w.r.t. something somewhere on the web.

    Ian