Re: New DQL Specification

From: patrick hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 05/28/02

    >More problems with MIDs.
    >
    >What happens in the following cases (some written in quasi English, because
    >the DAML+OIL would be too painful):
    >

    >KB	John rdf:type _:r .
    >	_:r daml:onProperty friend .
    >	_:r daml:minCardinality 3 .
    >
    >Query	John friend ?l .
    >	?l distinguished

    no answer binding.

    >KB	John rdf:type _:r .
    >	_:r daml:onProperty friend .
    >	_:r daml:minCardinality 3 .
    >	John friend _:f .
    >
    >Query	John friend ?l .
    >	?l distinguished

    ?l/_:f ; John friend _:f .

    Since the MID in this case is exactly the query, it might be worth
    not delivering it as part of the answer. Similarly for later examples.

    >KB	John rdf:type _:r .
    >	_:r daml:onProperty friend .
    >	_:r daml:minCardinality 3 .
    >	John friend _:f .
    >	John friend _:g .
    >
    >Query	John friend ?l .
    >	?l distinguished

    ?l/_:f ; John friend _:f .
    ?l/_:g; John friend _:g .

    >KB	John rdf:type _:r .
    >	_:r daml:onProperty friend .
    >	_:r daml:toClass Person .
    >	John rdf:type _:s .
    >	_:s daml:onProperty friend .
    >	_:s daml:minCardinality 1 .
    >
    >Query	John friend ?l .
    >	?l distinguished

    No answer binding.

    >KB	John rdf:type [all friend Student OR all friend Employee ]
    >	John friend _:f .
    >
    >Query	John friend ?l .
    >	?l distinguished

    ?l/_:f; Im not sure what the MID would be here; it depends to some
    extent on how that OR would be encoded in the RDF graph. Thinking
    about it, I think that what you would get would be a graph which when
    back-translated into this notation would look like this:

    ?l/_:f; _:f rdf:type [Student OR Employee]

    >KB	John rdf:type [all friend Student OR all friend Employee ]
    >	John friend _:f .
    >	John friend _:g .
    >
    >Query	John friend ?l .
    >	?l distinguished

    ?l/_:f;  _:f rdf:type [Student OR Employee]
    ?l/_:g;  _:g rdf:type [Student OR Employee]

    is about the best one could expect.

    >KB	John rdf:type [all friend Student OR all friend Employee ]
    >	_:r daml:onProperty friend .
    >	_:r daml:minCardinality 2 .
    >
    >Query	John friend ?l .
    >	?l distinguished

    No answer binding.

    >KB	John rdf:type [friend _:f OR friend _:g ]
    >
    >Query	John friend ?l .
    >	?l distinguished

    No answer binding.

    Pat

    IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
    40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
    Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax