Re: DQL Description (for today's telecon)

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider (pfps@research.bell-labs.com)
Date: 02/28/02

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Subject: Re: DQL Description (for today's telecon)
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:23:55 -0600

> >I have several comments on the DQL informal description.
> >
> >First, I would much prefer to have a definition of what querying is
> >supposed to be separated from all the interface ``fluff''.
>
> I think that your comment reflects a failure to grasp our point.  The
> idea of allowing wrappers is not "interface fluff",  but is an
> integral aspect of the proposal. I know it mixes together procedural
> and logical matters, but that is a design decision, since the
> querying process has both procedural and logical aspects, in our
> view, and it is better to try to keep them separate.

Wrappers?  I'm uncertain as to what you mean by this.

If you mean the continuation stuff then I disagree.  Why not have a
completely non-procedural description of answers and only then define how
the interface works?

[...]

> >The interface itself needs to talk about completeness and fairness.
>
> Why? It is not a spec designed to be able to *prove* that a KB will
> eventually answer a query. I don't see any reason to impose
> completeness and fairness as part of the spec.What problems would
> this avoid? (I suspect you are letting the demands of theory
> over-ride those of a standard. )

I believe that your spec would allow a system to respond

	a,a,a,a,a,a,a,....

when the answer is

	a,b,c,d,e

This should at least be not recommended.

peter