rules, queries and DAML+OIL

From: Ian Horrocks (horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk)
Date: 02/26/02

Last week I promised to send something round about rules, and what I
had learned at the Dagstuhl Workshop. Sorry that I am only doing so at
the last minute. Please also be aware that the following are only
intended to be ideas/discussion points and are very far from being
fully thought through - in particular the idea about defaults is just
me "thinking out loud", and I fully expect you to tell me that I am
talking through my hat (as usual).

Just to be clear, when I talk about rules here I am talking about horn
rules of the form:

q0(y0) <- q1(y1) ^ ... ^ qn(yn)

where qi is a predicate and yi is a tuple of variables of the same
arity as qi.

The first point I wanted to make, which may be obvious to us but does
not seem to be clear to all (even those at the Dagstuhl workshop), is
that rules and DL/DAML+OIL axioms have a lot in common. In particular,
many rules can be expressed as subClassOf axioms (and vice
versa). E.g., :

  p(x) <- q(x) ^ w(x)

is equivalent to

  (subClassOf p (intersectionOf q w))

and

  p(x) <- q(x) ^ r(x,y) ^ w(y)

is equivalent to

  (subClassOf p (intersectionOf q (restriction onProperty r hasClass w)))

In fact, based on the evidence of the examples given in the Dagstuhl
talks (which may, of course, not be a representative sample), it seems
that the kinds of thing that can't be captured in a DL axiom (e.g.,
predicates of arity greater than 2, variable "cycles") are rarely used
in ontology rules - at least nearly all of the examples could easily
be expressed as a axioms - you can see a more complex example in slide
35 of the talk at:

  http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/Slides/dagstuhlP070202.pdf

We might consider including some syntax that allowed rules of the
appropriate form to be included in ontologies - the problem is that it
will be hard to come up with a way of syntactically restricting rules
so that only "axiom equivalent" rules can ever be stated.

Another interesting point is that there seemed to be some confusion
(at Dagstuhl) regarding D+O and the closed world assumption. For
example, there seemed to be the idea that if a D+O KB contains the
information that there is a train from A to B departing at 3 o'clock
(and no other information about trains from A to B), and we want to
ask "what time does the train from A to B depart", that this could not
be answered because, under the open world assumption, there could be
any number of other trains from A to B. Of course it is easy to get
the required answer if we use a query. Moreover, the closed world
assumption is clearly crazy in these kinds of case as we don't want to
infer that the class of "trains from A to B" is subsumed by the class
of "things that depart at 3 o'clock".

Finally, a thought that occurred to me at Dagstuhl is that some of the
things that people are trying to do with rules, a closed world
assumption and/or defaults can be captured using queries. Take Guus'
famous mahogany table example. If a given application wants to apply
the default "rule" that tables are assumed to be made out of mahogany
unless we know otherwise, it can do so by simply by adding the
appropriate information to the results of queries. E.g., it is easy to
answer the question "what is table t made out of?" simply by answering
the query:

(x) <- table(t) ^ made-of(t,x)

and if the answer to this is empty, then returning
{mahogany}. Similarly, to retrieve all mahogany tables, simply
retrieve all tables and eliminate those not made of mahogany.

In terms of DQL, we could achieve this by adding an extra "premise" KB
containing axioms of the form made-of(x,mahogany) for all tables x
such that x is not in the answer to the query

(x) <- table(x) ^ made-of(x,(not mahogany))

Of course this still leaves many questions unanswered: how are such
default rules to be expressed? how does the application know about the
default rule (is it part of the ontology or some extra information
only known to this particular application)? can we satisfactorily
formalise the semantics? However, I do see some hope of dealing with
these issues, and dealing with defaults in query answering certainly
seems to be preferable to reasoning with them inside the ontology.

Regards, Ian