Re: querying DAML+OIL syntax

From: Pat Hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 11/29/01

>From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
>Subject: Re: querying DAML+OIL syntax
>Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:44:07 -0600
>
>>  >
>>  >Untouchable - should not make it into the model theory
>>
>>  Why? (Because they use constructions defined by rdf:parseType??)
>>
>>  >
>>  >	Ontology versionInfo imports
>>  >
>>  >	unionOf intersectionOf disjointUnionOf oneOf
>>  >	complementOf
>>  >
>>  >	onProperty toClass hasValue
>>  >	hasClass minCardinality maxCardinality cardinality
>>  >	hasClassQ minCardinalityQ maxCardinalityQ cardinalityQ
>>  >
>>  >	equivalentTo sameClassAs samePropertyAs sameIndividualAs
>>  >	disjointWith differentIndividualFrom inverseOf
>>
>>  Pat
>
>To be more precise, perhaps.
>
>The above constructs are DAML+OIL syntax and should not generate
>relationships in the model theory.  For example (using a much nicer syntax)
>
>	(unionOf a (intersectionOf b c))
>
>should not result in a unionOf relationship in the model theory.

What should the MT say about it, then? That it refers to George W. Bush?

>Why?  Well, if it did then how could you get an entailment between
>
>	A = (unionOf a (intersectionOf b c))
>
>and
>
>	B = (intersectionOf (unionOf a b) (unionOf b c))

I must be getting old, or something. I really do not follow you. Are
you saying that A does NOT entail B??

If we don't have any relationships in the model theory, how will we
entail ANYTHING?

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax