Re: layering DAML+OIL on top of RDF model theory

From: Pat Hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 11/29/01

>Here is a technical challenge.
>
>Is it possible to layer a model theory for DAML+OIL on top of a model
>theory for RDF?

Er...yes?. The answer seems obvious, which makes me suspect that
there is a trap lurking here.

>  What would this mean?

That the MT for DAML+OIL would assign the same meaning to the RDF(S)
subset of DAML+OIL as the RDF MT assigns to it, at a minimum.

>  How would it work?

Rather like the current MT for DAML, but re-stated using explicit
extension mappings for classes and properties.

>Note that the current model theory for DAML+OIL is *not* layered on top of
>a model theory for RDF.

I don't think it would be more than a simple exercise in
transcription. I have always assumed that we could do this when
required. (Hopefully it could be phrased so that DAML+OIL could be
seen as a 'semantic extension' to the RDF MT, by imposing semantic
conditions on the  daml: reserved vocabulary, with a corresponding
set of closure rules; but that might be overly ambitious.)

If you like I will try to have a draft in a few days (when I catch up
with my overdue WG work.)

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax