querying DAML+OIL syntax

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider (pfps@research.bell-labs.com)
Date: 11/27/01

So I looked over the DAML+OIL syntax and model theory and came up with the
following conclusions:

1/ All triples are actually carried into the model theory, so Richard is
somewhat justified in trying to query them.  I now view this as a mistake,
so I wouldn't count on the situation staying stable.  Also querying logical
triples is not likely to get what you want.

2/ If you only carry reasonable triples into the model theory, then you get
the following division of DAML+OIL syntax.

RDF Syntax - doesn't even make it to the RDF graph, so can't be queried

	xmlns:*
	rdf:RDF rdf:Description
	rdf:ID rdf:about rdf:resource
	rdf:parseType

Untouchable - should not make it into the model theory

	Ontology versionInfo imports

	unionOf intersectionOf disjointUnionOf oneOf
	complementOf

	onProperty toClass hasValue
	hasClass minCardinality maxCardinality cardinality
	hasClassQ minCardinalityQ maxCardinalityQ cardinalityQ

	equivalentTo sameClassAs samePropertyAs sameIndividualAs
	disjointWith differentIndividualFrom inverseOf

Questionable - it may be possible to take these into the model theory

	rdf:type
	rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:subPropertyOf
	rdfs:domain rdfs:range

	rdfs:Class rdfs:Literal rdf:Property
	Class Datatype Thing Nothing
	Restriction

	ObjectProperty DatatypeProperty
	TransitiveProperty UniqueProperty UnambiguousProperty

OK, except in DAML+OIL logical constructs