Re: Can we layer a DAML+OIL model theory on top of RDF?

From: Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Date: 11/22/01

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:

> I don't think so, because of the triples generated by DAML+OIL logical
> constructs.
>
> For example, consider
>
>         <rdfs:Class foo>
>           <daml:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="daml:collection">
>             <daml:Class rdf:about="Man">
>             <daml:Class rdf:about="Woman">
>           </daml:intersectionOf>
>         </rdfs:Class>
>
> This does not RDFS entail
>
>         <rdfs:Class foo>
>           <daml:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="daml:collection">
>             <daml:Class rdf:about="Woman">
>             <daml:Class rdf:about="Man">
>           </daml:intersectionOf>
>         </rdfs:Class>
>
> because the RDF-encoding of the collections involved.

That's not surprising; RDFS-entialment is "bigger"
than RDF-entailment, and I expect DAML+OIL-entailment
to be "bigger" than RDFS-entailment likewise.

> Now, maybe we can live with this, as we don't really want to ask about
> entailment between classes.

er... I don't know what "entialment between classes" is,
but I certainly want entailment between formulas about classes.

> However, if we add
>
>         <foo rdf:about="John"/>
>
> to both examples.  The entailment is still not there.

Given a suitable model theory, I expect it is.

> This is much more serious.
>
> Even more serious is that
>
>         <rdfs:Class foo>
>           <daml:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="daml:collection">
>             <daml:Class rdf:about="Man">
>             <daml:Class rdf:about="Woman">
>           </daml:intersectionOf>
>         </rdfs:Class>
>
>         <foo rdf:about="John"/>
>
> does not entail
>
>         <foo rdf:about="John"
>           <rdf:type>
>             <daml:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="daml:collection">
>               <daml:Class rdf:about="Man">
>               <daml:Class rdf:about="Woman">
>             </daml:intersectionOf>
>           </rdf:type>
>         </foo>
>
> this time because of the extra logical stuff attached to John.

I don't see why this entialment wouldn't be there: we
can show that the the
two existential variables for the intersection class
denote the same class, and hence the RDFS axioms
about rdf:type and rdfs:Class make the entialment happen.

> How can this be fixed?  About the only way I can see is to not produce
> RDF graph structure for the DAML+OIL logical stuff.

The way I see it, they all have a common model theory:
it's roughly FOL less the law of the excluded middle
(property formalizing daml:imports requires a whole
bunch more stuff, but I can wait on that).

"RDF-entailment", then, is entailment given that model
theory plus a very few axioms like

	(forall (?p ?s ?o)
          (implies (?p ?s ?o) (rdf:type ?p rdf:Predicate)))

"RDFS-entialment" is entailment given that model theory
plus axioms for domain/range/subClassOf/subPropertyOf etc.

DAML+OIL entailment would add axioms for lists, intersection, etc.

>  However, this is very
> hard if we start with RDF triples, as how to we tell which triples are
> logical and which are not?
>
> The situation is *much* better if we start with XML, as then we know where
> we stand.

Speak for yourself.