Re: DAML+OIL Expressivity Question

From: Pat Hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 11/08/01

You know, guys, it is expecting rather a lot of the DPH to be able to
figure out that the right way to say that foo is baz, is to invent a
disjunctive superproperty and then restrict it to have a cardinality
of one. I'm sure this kind of thing makes life easier for the DL
reasoners, but it isn't likely to get DAML widely used.

Would it make sense to provide some suite of idioms that could be
used to say a bunch of 'normal' things that people might want to say?
That might be a way towards making a useable interface to DAML, for
one thing.

Pat

>On November 7, Jeff Heflin writes:
>>  Ian,
>>
>>  Thanks for the ingenious suggestion. However, wouldn't you also have to
>>  express restrictions that the cardinality of bestFriend and spouse are
>>  1? Otherwise, people with a best friend but no spouse, or vice versa
>>  would be included in the class you defined.
>
>Oops - you are right of course.
>
>Ian
>

>>  Jeff
>>
>>  Ian Horrocks wrote:
>>  >
>>  > On November 7, Jeff Heflin writes:
>>  > > Hi all,
>>  > >
>>  > > I recently had someone ask me if they could represent a particular kind
>>  > > of knowledge in DAML+OIL, and I wasn't able to give them a definite
>>  > > response. I was hoping one of our DL gurus could help. I was asked if it
>>  > > was possible to define the class of all people who's best friend is
>>  > > their spouse, where bestFriend and spouse are properties. I think this
>>  > > means they would need a restriction that could restrict two properties
>>  > > to have the same value. I don't believe we can do this in DAML+OIL, but
>>  > > wanted to check. Thanks!
>>  >
>>  > As you rightly suspect, there isn't a general way to restrict two
>>  > properties to have the same value. In cases like this, it may be
>>  > possible to use the property hierarchy to achieve the desired result
>>  > by declaring both bestFriend and spouse to be subProperties of a
>>  > property called, say, bestFriendORspouse, and then asserting the class
>>  > as equivalent to a maxCardinality restriction of 1 on
>>  > bestFriendORspouse.
>>  >
>>  > Ian
>>  >
>>  > >
>>  > > Jeff

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax