Re: Validating daml+oil-ex.daml

From: Deborah McGuinness (dlm@ksl.stanford.edu)
Date: 11/01/01

I endorse option 3 below  but want to make clear that my interpretation of
option 3 means that it is a strong feature of the bbn validator and of chimaera
that they check for "soft" constraints.
I have found with almost all of our passes over ontologies that soft constraint
"violations" are a source of issues that need human cycles to look at them to
either fix them or confirm that they are meant.

Chimaera has the option to run particular tests so for example, you can not run
cycle detection (which is another soft constraint - it is not incorrect to say
A is a subclass of B and B is a subclass of A but it is usually not something
one wants in a kb).

That said,
when i create knowledge bases, i try not to leave in uses of terms that are not
defined.  As everyone points out, it is not an error   but it can be a source
of evolution problems especially in a case where there is distributed ontology
evolution going on.

I understand in a pedagogical tool, it can be useful to maintain one example of
this and to point out in text that this is a feature of the language, but i
would not intentionally put in more than one of each case of this example.

Deborah

--
 Deborah L. McGuinness
 Knowledge Systems Laboratory