Re: on behalf of sandro

From: Richard Fikes (fikes@ksl.stanford.edu)
Date: 10/24/01

> > >The knowledge base contains the statements: "Pat's car is blue, and
> > >there is something colored red."  Somewhat more formally:
> > >
> > >   RDF(PatsCar, color, blue).
> > >   exists x (RDF(x, color, red)).
> >
> > Sorry to be dense, but how does one state "there is something colored
> > red" in DAML+OIL?
> >
> > Richard

Your reply suggests that there is no direct of way of saying "exists x
RDF(x color red)" in a DAML+OIL KB, which is what I suspected.  Since
the issue came up in a discussion of what statements in a DAML+OIL KB
would match a query of the form "RDF(?x, color, ?y)", it is central to
the discussion.

Am I correct in concluding that there is no way of including an
existential variable as the subject or object in an RDF statement in a
DAML+OIL KB?  (I suspect there is a way, but I don't see it.)

Richard