Re: model theory and literals

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider (pfps@research.bell-labs.com)
Date: 10/10/01

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Subject: model theory and literals
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:36:24 -0500

> Peter, after my mini-epiphany during the telecon yesterday, I had an
> even better one :-). I think that there is a very tiny, if
> unconventional, change to the RDF MT which will allow it to
> accommodate smoothly to your (or anyone else's) proposed treatment of
> literals: simply say (with some explanatory prose :-) that the XL
> mapping is a fixed mapping from literal TOKENS to literal values.
> That is, it allows one occurrence of <whatever>05</whatever> to
> denote an integer and another one to denote a string, just as long as
> they each denote the same thing in every interpretation.

Hmm.  Interesting, sneaky, and underhanded!  I like it.

Well, actually, I don't think that it works.

> This allows
> both the case where every literal is simply a string which denotes
> itself, and it also allows the extreme other case where an elaborate
> external datatyping process assigns special values in all sorts of
> ways. However, it does insist that each literal label token has a
> fixed interpretation; it doesn't tolerate ambiguity of any
> *particular* literal label. I don't want to allow that kind of
> ambiguity.

See below.

> This will leave entirely mysterious how anyone or anything could
> determine what the actual denotation of any particular literal token
> actually is, of course. That is assumed to be done somehow, but is
> outside the scope of the MT itself.
>
> With this change in wording, the actual equations can remain as they are.
>
> Would that be sufficient flexibility for you, along with allowing IR
> to consist of both resources and literal values, so that rdfs:Literal
> doesn't force literal values to be resources?

The problem is that I want (for what I consider to be good reasons, see my
posting to www-rdf-comments) to be able to have that

	John age 05 .

has several models, some which have (this) 05 be an integer and some which
have it be a string.

> Pat

My current thinking is that nodes with literal labels are treated much like
nodes with no labels, except that their interpretation is restricted by XL.

peter