Re: datatypes and RDF Schema

From: Pat Hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 10/04/01

>  > EXAMPLES AND COMMENTARY
>>
>>  A n-triple example using XML Schema datatypes:
>>
>  >         John age "5" .
>>
>>  All that is known so far is that John's age is some data value that can be
>>  lexicalized as 5.
>
>i.e.
>	(exists (?x) (and (age John ?x) (lexicalRep ?x "5"))
>which, I suggest, is more naturally represented as:
>	John age _:x.
>	_:x lexicalRep "5".
>
>i.e. some folks will see this as putting another
>RDF node and arc in the graph. That doesn't bother
>me, but it bothers some folks a lot.

Well, theres another way of looking at this. You could argue that a
full understanding of lexicalRep would have these two graphs each
extended-RDF-entailing the other:

John age "5" .

John age _:x.
_:x lexicalRep "5" .

as long as everyone agrees that "5" is universally recognizable as
being a lexical representation, even when it just occurs 'naked', as
in the first graph. Then the content of the second graph could be
conveyed by the first one.

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax