On Behalf of Deborah McGuinness

From: Brandon Amundson (bamundson@bbn.com)
Date: 09/26/01

I liked Richard's list of issues not supported and offer a few other issues
that I would suggest that we also want to cover.
This is from work done on querying and explaining frame systems [1,2,3,4]
done first in the context of the CLASSIC description logic-based system and
later other DL-based systems.

How does the query answerer return portions of the answers (or pruned
answers) rather than complete (presumably very complicated) answers?

Does the user specify what portions of an answer (or proof) are interesting?

or is this previously determined by either the system or a knowledge
engineer?

Deborah McGuinness
dlm@ksl.stanford.edu

[1] <A HREF=3D"http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~borgida/">Alex Borgida</A> and
<A=20=
HREF=3D"http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm
``Asking Queries about Frames.''
In Proceedings of Fifth International Conference on the Principles of
Knowledge Representation and Reasoning Cambridge, Massachusetts, November,
1996. Morgan Kaufmann. Also appears in Proceedings of International Workshop
on Description Logics, Cambridge, Mass., November 1996.
http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm/papers/kr96-abstract.html

[2] http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm"
 ``Explaining Reasoning in Description Logics''
Ph.D. Thesis, Rutgers University, 1996. Technical Report LCSR-TR-277.
http://www.research.att.com/~dlm/papers/thesis-abstract.html

[3] Franz Baader, http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~borgida
and http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm
 ``Matching in Description Logics: Preliminary Results,'' In Proceedings of
the 1998
International Workshop on Description Logics, Trento, Italy. June, 1998. An
updated version appears in Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference
on Conceptual Structures (ICCS'98), M.-L. Mugnier, M. Chein (editors),
Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Springer, 1998.

[4] http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~borgida
Enrico Franconi, http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks
http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm
 and http://www.bell-labs.com/user/pfps
http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Publications/CEUR-WS/Vol-22/borgida
.ps
``Explaining ALC subsumption''
 Proceedings of the International Workshop on Description Logics - DL-99, pp
33-36,
Sweden, July 1999.=20

[1] http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~borgida Alex Borgida and
 http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm Deborah L. McGuinness.
``Asking Queries about Frames.'' In Proceedings of Fifth International Co=
nference on the Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning
Cambrid=
ge, Massachusetts, November, 1996. Morgan Kaufmann. Also appears in
Proceedi=
ngs of International Workshop on Description Logics, Cambridge, Mass.,
Novem=
ber 1996.
&nbsp;http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm/papers/kr96-abstract=
.html

http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm" Deborah L.McGuinness.
``Explaining Reasoning in Description Logics''. Ph.D. Thesis
, Rutgers University, 1996. Technical Report LCSR-TR-277.
http://www.research.att.com/~dlm/papers/thesis-abstract.html

Alex Borgida, http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm">L Deborah L.
McGuinness.

In a message dated 9/24/2001 12:21:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time, fikes@KS=
[...]

There are infinitely many answers and if n answers were requested the
answer collection contains as many
of the n answers as the server could produce or if all
answers were requested the answer collection contains
a sampling of answers;

The answer collection
contains all the answers the server can
produce and there may be more.

We may also want to posit a collection of commands that enables the
client to pose a query and get back a process handle (aka, a
continuation) that can be sent to the server in subsequent commands to
incrementally request answers to the query.

Yulin Li and I have been developing a design for such expansions to DQL
0.1, but rather than send out that design at this point, I propose that
the committee consider the need for such an expansion. &nbsp;When we rea=