Re: N3 version of daml+oil.daml (KIF version, too)

From: Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Date: 06/15/01

Jim Hendler wrote:

> Folks- wanted a more readable version of daml+oil, so I sent it
> through the N3 converter.  It comes out pretty well, except for one
> oddity - instead of using the normal colon prefix, we did something
> that causes it to come out with the full URIs - that is we get
>    <http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil.daml#Class>     a rdfs:Class;
> instead of
>   :Class a rdfs:Class;
>
> Two easy things could fix this - an editing macro that fixes the
> daml+oil.daml file, or a fix to Dan's python code that can somehow
> recongize and fix this.

The name of that thing is supposed to be
  http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil#Class
i.e. you're supposed to refer to the ontology using
  http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil
NOT
  http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil.daml

If you refer to the ontology that way, it works just fine:

$ python2 ../../cwm.py --rdf http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil --n3
--base=absolutize: >daml+oil.n3

I checked in the results at:
  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/test/dpo/daml+oil.n3

You can also get it from the converter that I think
Jim is referring to

  N3<->RDF Conversion Service
  http://purl.org/swag/n3tordf

So the results are available at:
http://swag.semanticweb.org/n3tordf?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.daml.org%2F2001%2F03%2Fdaml%2Boil&from=rdf

By the way, for other reasons, I generated a version of
daml+oil in "n-triples" format, which is an extremely
simple dialect of N3 that the RDFCore WG is using
for expected results of test cases:

  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/test/dpo/dpo.nt

one interesting thing about n-triples format is
that I wrote a little perl ditty to convert it to KIF:

  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/n-triples2kif.pl

whence comes daml+oil converted to KFI:

  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/test/dpo/dpo.kif

dpo.kif would be more useful if we had a clean,
machine-readable copy of the axiomatic semantics,
separated out from the HTML etc. in
  http://www.daml.org/2001/03/axiomatic-semantics.html

>   Any takes - would be a nice document to add to our daml+oil release page

Feel free to copy daml+oil.n3 and dpo.kif from w3.org
to daml.org.

But also...

I'm pretty sure I've asked for the suffixes to be removed
from the links in the daml+oil release page before;
I got the impression the request was declined, but maybe
it was just dropped, so let me make it again:

Please remove the .daml and .html from the links
in the index page
  http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil-index
  $Revision: 1.7 $ of $Date: 2001/03/28 06:26:55 $
and use the document titles, not filenames, as the link
text; e.g. change

| <LI>daml+oil-walkthru.html
| - an annotated version of the example ontology

 <li><a href="daml+oil-walkthru">Annotated DAML+OIL (March 2001)
Ontology
Markup</a>
 - an annotated version of the example ontology</li>

  (consider XHTML-izing while you're at it.)

It's especially important that folks refer to the daml+oil
stuff without the .daml; they get the wrong names otherwise.