Re: A comment on DAML FAQ

From: Deborah McGuinness (dlm@ksl.stanford.edu)
Date: 06/06/01

Thanks for the complement.
The tutorials really came out of self preservation  - trying not to get
so many questions on use.  I figure FAQs are just a way to protect the
guru's time....

on detecting the inconsistencies
There would be expected to be many daml reasoners that could detect the
inconsistencies depending upon the exact way you model the info.  As Ian
points out, FACT could detect them.  Even an incomplete reasoner would be
likely to get the issue you are looking to find.  Even Ontolingua
(without its associated theorem prover) would find the inconsistency you
mention for the disjoint partition.  (Ontolingua does some simple checks
while it relies on the theorem prover to do the more extensive
reasoning.)
Chimaera in its diagnostic mode would also detect the inconsistency as
well even though chimaera is far from a complete reasoner.

On using a daml reasoner to find inconsistencies, I think this is a good
use, and in fact one that at least some of us would have intended.  Jim
has consistently said that we should not expect all daml reasoners to be
complete   thus one should not expect all daml reasoners to find all
logical inconsistencies.  However one could choose a complete daml
reasoner  to solve the problem if completeness is required.  Also, if one
could be satisfied finding SOME of the inconsistencies, I would expect a
lot of reasoners to be able to find things that are say instances of two
disjoint partitions.

On finding the source of the problem...  yes this is definitely something
near and dear to my heart.  Not a simple issue and as Ian also has
pointed out, although some of my thesis was implemented in CLASSIC and
although some followon work has gone on for other styles of description
logics, we can not claim it is really ready for mass usage.  I think the
foundation is there however.  We also have a similar approach embedded in
our reasoning systems at Stanford for explaining deductions.

I think this is one place that we will see daml reasoners being pushed.
This would also go along the lines of the proof direction that tim and
dan are interested in.
I think however we are going to see a massive need for pruning in order
to have an implemented system that "normal" people can use.  We clearly
can not provide "traces" of the deductions and finding the level of
abstraction and pruning appropriate for an answer is part of the art of
the solution.
I had some framework for declaratively specifying both which helped in
our configuration applications at AT&T.

I am also happy to followup on these issues in a smaller discussion group
if that is desired.
I think this discussion may take a few rounds of interaction.

Deborah

--
Deborah L. McGuinness