Re: Joint Committee Meeting tomorrow May 15

From: pat hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 05/15/01

>Pat's strawman proposal for DAML rules  (Pat Hayes will send email)

Well, Pat admits defeat. Here's what I wanted to be able to do,
illustrated by an example. There is a class of things called Actions,
which have unique properties called actor (takes values in class of
Agents), actionType, and target (all object classes).  I want to say
that the intersections of two classes of actions is uniquely defined
by the intersections of the three property values, ie an action is in
the intersection if its values are in the corresponding
intersections. That ought to be expressible as a rule which has
antecedents referring to the property values and a consequent
referring to the intersection, but I'm damned if I can see how to do
this using DAML syntax.

I wont even bother describing the strawman idea in detail, since this
was the first thing I tried to use it for, and it couldnt even handle
this. What it amounted to in effect was allowing Horn clause rules
whose atoms were DAML assertions with variables, corresponding
roughly to the entries in the model-theoretic semantics table (with
datatype assertions restricted to the antecedents).

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax