Re: Urgent! Semantic question about rdfs:domain.

From: pat hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 04/25/01

>On April 25, pat hayes writes:
> > >Pat, I believe the current semantics are correct. The RDF Schema Spec
> > >(sect. 3.1.4) says that rdfs:domain is "used to indicate the class(es)
> > >on whose members a property can be used." To me, this indicates that an
> > >instance of the class does not have to have a value for that property,
> > >i.e., that there could be some Animals for which there is no hasParent
> > >property, but any thing with a hasParent property must be an Animal.
> >
> > Interesting. To me, that form of words suggests the oppposite
> > interpretation. (If a property has no value for some individual then
> > it cannot be "used" on that individual, surely? If it gets used, what
> > is the value of the property?)
> >
> > The real moral is that vaguely worded specifications are worse
>than useless.
>
>Agreed!
>
> > OK, but I will take your advice. My problem now is that I don't feel
> > competent to rewrite the walkthru explanations, as I no longer feel
> > that I really follow the intended interpretation of properties and
> > domains. As far as I can see, with this interpretation, there is
> > never any point in declaring a domain or a range. Those statements
> > have no utility, since they do not allow a reasoner to draw any
> > conclusions.
>
>I don't quite understand this. If Range(P,C) and P(x,y) then the
>reasoner can infer C(y) - and similarly for Domain.

Yes, true. I spoke carelessly. I should have said that they do not
allow a reasoner to draw any conclusions about the classes, ie other
than by mentioning individuals. I was thinking of the fact that if
one were to alter all domains and ranges to Thing, everything would
stay true.

>As I said in my
>other email on this subject, range and domain can simply be seen as
>syntactic sugar for inclusion axioms.

Yes, that is a very helpful way of explaining them, thanks.

>This kind of axiom can (as Jeff
>also pointed out) be used to state either/both the universal and
>existential forms of restriction. They offer just as much/little
>potential for inference as any other kind of axiom, don't they?

I suspect that my initial failure to grasp this arises from a
difference in cognitive style between class/property thinking and
traditional logical thinking. I see now that I have been consistently
thinking in terms based on old intuitions which I learned originally
from category theory, so that I have been thinking of a property as a
kind of morphism. That is not the right way to think here.

OK, thanks for the input. I also see that there are a lot more
conceptual safety guards that need to be put into the walkthrough,
and will try again to write them up.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax