Formalizing XML schema

From: jhendler (jhendler@darpa.mil)
Date: 03/23/01

Folks-
 [1] looks like something our group should know about - it's an attempt to.
as it says:

* Provide a semantic framework for software systems that use the W3C XML
Schema specification, such as the W3C XML Query Algebra.
* Specify names for all components of an XML Schema, so that they can be
uniquely identified by URIs. Such unique identifiers may be useful to
XML Query, RDF, and topic maps, among others.
* Formally define validation at a declarative level.
* Define the mapping from the current XML Schema syntax onto the structures
described here, as well as the mapping between the XML Schema
component mode and our component model.

I think it would be worth our formalists taking a look and deciding whether
this is something we care about -- wouldn't be too hard to get soemone who
knows this work (maybe first author - Allen Brown of Microsoft) to "present"
it to us on one of our telecons.

 It's a W3C working draft, and out of XML world, so maybe worth our time.
 -Jim H.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xmlschema-formal-20010320/
Dr. James Hendler		jhendler@darpa.mil
Chief Scientist, DARPA/ISO	703-696-2238 (phone)
3701 N. Fairfax Dr.		703-696-2201 (Fax)
Arlington, VA 22203		http://www.cs.umd.edu/~hendler