Re: DAML and Dublin Core: incompatibility?

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider (pfps@research.bell-labs.com)
Date: 03/05/01

From: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
Subject: Re: DAML and Dublin Core: incompatibility?
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 23:47:04 -0600

> Dan Brickley wrote:
> > If this means previous deployed apps such as Dublin Core, RSS, Mozilla
> > (Netscape 6), Open Directory and others will be broken because they
> > allow some properties to point both to resources and literals,
>
> Regardless of what DAML+OIL+DT does, I consider that practice
> broken. Based on the experience I have building tools and apps,
> I recommend folks get used to making clear distinctions between
> things and names for things.

Let me second this wholeheartedly.  If the goal is to have yet another
human-readable thing for the web, then a separation is unnecessary.
However, if the goal is to have automatic processing of the information in
the Dublin Core, ..., then good modelling practices are essential.

Peter Patel-Schneider