Re: daml:SymmetricProperty?

From: Jim Hendler (jhendler@darpa.mil)
Date: 03/01/01

At 12:11 PM -0500 3/1/01, Mike Dean wrote:
>DAML+OIL currently supports TransitiveProperty and
>inverseOf.  Should we also be able to indicate a
>SymmetricProperty
>
>   P(a, b) implies P(b, a)
>
>such as sibling or spouse?
>
>I checked and see that OIL [1] supports this.
>
>How about ReflexiveProperty
>
>   P(x, x)
>
>such as equivalentTo?
>
>I'm told that TransitiveProperty and SymmetricProperty and
>ReflexiveProperty would imply samePropertyAs (equivalence).
>
>Comments?
>
>	Mike
>
>[1] http://www.ontoknowledge.org/oil/rdf-schema/2000/11/10-oil-standard

we originally let this stuff out of DAML with a note to "improve it
later" - has the time come to do that?  Might also be worth
considering whether there are other levels of this (transitive
closure, for example) that we might want to consider -
  i.e.
   Driveable(X Y) is the transitive closure of Landborder(X Z)

Dr. James Hendler		jhendler@darpa.mil
Chief Scientist, DARPA/ISO	703-696-2238 (phone)
3701 N. Fairfax Dr.		703-696-2201 (Fax)
Arlington, VA 22203		http://www.cs.umd.edu/~hendler