Re: added diagrams to "Using XML Schema Data Types..."

From: Jim Hendler (jhendler@darpa.mil)
Date: 02/07/01

At 12:40 PM -0600 2/7/01, Dan Connolly wrote:

>To have the parsing of one document depend on the
>contents of another conflicts with that goal/principle.
>
>Another way to state this principle is that
>the knowledge contained in two documents, X and Y,
>is always the conjunction of the knowledge in X with
>the knowledge in Y. To allow X to change what Y says
>in some non-monotonic way doesn't seem scalable/workable
>to me.

I absolutely agree with the first of these and completely disagree
with the second, so maybe they're not exactly equivalent... since I
tend to like examples, here's one

Web page 1 says:  X is true
Web page 2 says:  X is False

The parsing of web page 1 or two is not changed by reading the other,
but I don't know a good monotonic way to combine these two without
problem (solution is for me to tag them, or reject them, or something
- but I need to be allowed to recognize conflict)

web page 1 says: 1 is an integer
web page 2 says: 1 is a real
web page 3 says: 1 is not an integer

are these cases inherentely different?  I'm not sure,

Prof. James Hendler		hendler@cs.umd.edu
Computer Science Dept		703-696-2238 (phone)
Univ of Maryland		703-696-2201 (Fax)
College Park, MD 20853		http://www.cs.umd.edu/~hendler