Re: New release of daml+oil

From: Stefan Decker (stefan@db.stanford.edu)
Date: 01/10/01

Hi,

>Finally, and a little more controversially, I deleted "item" from the
>list syntax section: we don't use it, and I presume that it isn't our
>intention to provide a general purpose list implementation. Scream now
>if you object to this.
*SCREAM* ;-)
I would object this. The reason:
without an item construct one may have to repeat information.

An example:
Given the following class definitions:

<rdfs:Class rdf:about="#Car"/>
<rdfs:Class rdf:about="#Person"/>
<rdfs:Class rdf:about="#Plant"/

Expressing that these classes are disjoint would require
to repeat either known information (e.g. that these are classes)
or new information. As in:

<daml:Disjoint rdf:parseType="daml:collection">
   <rdfs:Class rdf:about="#Car"/>
   <rdfs:Class rdf:about="#Person"/>
   <rdfs:Class rdf:about="#Plant"/>
</daml:Disjoint>

An item construct does avoid the repetition of information.

All the best,

         Stefan