Re: DAML-Spatial Primitives

From: Pete Haglich (phaglic@isx.com)
Date: 03/10/03

    I don't deny that  the spatial knowledge is more useful if it is more
    specific, such as specific addresses or facilities in the examples
    given below.  However, in our experience with our particular domain of
    discourse it is useful to speak of routes between cities or journeys in
    which the cities are treated at terminal points or way-points even
    though the "exact" location within the city is specified.  For these
    purposes we consider cities to be idealized points.

    In the problem areas in which we work, we would say things like:

    <Road rdf:ID="Interstate80">
    	<hasTerminus rdf:about="#SanFrancisco"/>
    	<hasTerminus rdf:about="NewYorkCity"/>
    </Road>

    <City rdf:ID="SanFrancisco"/>
    <City rdf:ID="NewYorkCity"/>

    We might then discuss whether or not the cities are connected based on
    the existence of serviceable routes between them.  This discussion
    would parallel one based on:

    <Route rdf:ID="YahooRoute12slfjdsalfj132">
    	<hasTerminus rdf:about="Address234234sf21343"/>
    	<hasTerminus rdf:about="Address230883094sdfz"/>
    </Route>

    <StreetAddress rdf:ID="Address 234234sf21343"/>
    <StreetAddress rdf:ID="Address230883094sdfz"/>

    in which we might consider routes connecting two addresses.

    I might point out that airports have 2 dimensional extent but are
    generally treated as points.  It's all a matter of what grain size you
    want to adopt.  For some of our applications we have found that a very
    coarse grain is appropriate.

    I guess that along with Austin I wanted to point out that a
    variable-grained spatial ontology has utility in some real world
    applications.