Re: Semantic Web Trust and Security Resource Guide

From: Jeffrey M. Bradshaw (jbradshaw@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 01/30/03

    Chris--

    This is a great collection--thanks! I will forward separately to you
    some papers about the work we are doing with the KAoS policy and
    domain services that seem relevant that you may want to include on
    the site. Below is an abstract from a paper we submitted to Policy 03.

    Please keep us informed of future developments, and if anyone else on
    the list has questions or related interests, please let me know.

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    *****

    In this paper, we describe our initial implementation of the KAoS
    policy and domain services. While initially oriented to the dynamic
    and complex requirements of software agent applications, the services
    are also being adapted to general-purpose grid computing and web
    services environments as well. The KAoS services rely on a DAML
    description-logic-based ontology of the computational environment,
    application context, and the policies themselves that enables runtime
    extensibility and adaptability of the system, as well as the ability
    to analyze policies relating to entities described at different
    levels of abstraction. An online theorem-prover is used for policy
    disclosure, conflict detection, and harmonization, and for reasoning
    about domain structure and concepts. In future versions, DAML will be
    replaced by OWL, and description-logic will be supplemented with the
    possibility of rule-based representation.

    --

    *******************************
    Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, Ph.D.

    Research Scientist
    Institute for Human and Machine Cognition
    University of West Florida
    40 South Alcaniz
    Pensacola, FL  32501
    email:  jbradshaw@ai.uwf.edu
    http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/users/?jbradshaw
    (850) 232-4345 (cell phone and voice mail)
    (850) 202-4462 (main IHMC number)
    (850) 202-4440 (fax)