Re: FW: Instance Data Question

From: Mike Dean (mdean@bbn.com)
Date: 10/31/00

> The only samples we've seen only contain what I would call "class" or
> "ontology" definitions, and not what I'd call "instance" data.  The only
> exception was "Adam" in one of the examples.  Do you envision "instance"
> data marked up as part of the ontology (with "class" tags), or with
> different tags?

I expect the "instances" to be separate.  Attached is a
simple example (based on daml-ex) that I worked up for a
recent BBN talk.  It used RDF/RDFS rather than DAML so I
could process it with existing tools -- I think Sergey's
latest RDF API release will support DAML-ONT, but haven't
had a chance to try it myself yet.

	Mike
<!-- some DAML ideas, examples -->
<!-- $Id: family.rdfs,v 1.1 2000/10/05 16:36:23 mdean Exp $ -->

<rdf:RDF
  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">

<Class ID="Animal">
  <label>Animal</label>
  <comment>This class of animals is illustrative of a number of
	ontological idioms.</comment>
</Class>

<Class ID="Male">
  <subClassOf rdf:resource="#Animal"/>