RE: Word Plug-in for DAML editing

From: Bob Balzer (bbalzer@teknowledge.com)
Date: 08/10/01

As Joe indicated in his message, our approach to DAML markup
in the (PowerPoint) Briefing Associate is based on tying the markup
to the construction of the document -- specifically providing the
author with a set of ontologically marked construction elements (in
a toolbar "palette") that the author selects and incorporates
into diagrams. These construction elements are not simple PowerPoint
autoshapes or images, but objects from an ontology with user-settable
attributes (properties) as defined by that ontology. Some of those
attributes get set as a side effect of their manipulation through PowerPoint
(i.e. giving them a label, changing their size or color, attaching them
to another object through a connector), while the others are modified
through the attribute interface.

Inside PowerPoint the author interacts with the semantic content through
this object model. When the briefing is exported, these objects and their
attributes are converted to DAML markup.

For Word, we're looking for similar construction elements that the author
could use to build the content of his/her document. We are thinking of using
the ontology as a "template" that indicates what fields/aspects of the
selected
concept should be filled in with values or free text to describe the
ontological
concept. Many of those fields/aspects would be or contain other ontological
concepts.
Authors would be able to select and edit recent or commonly used objects,
values, or
text for those fields. The result could be rendered with or without an
identifying icon
in an expandable tabular form or with some NL generation as a textual
paragraph. Multiple
viewers would exist to display different aspects of the object.

These construction objects could also be associated with already existing
blocks of text
or objects so that semantic content can be added bottom up as well as top
down.

For our initial Word plug-in, we're starting at the bottom detecting
references to
ontological object instances (e.g. reference to a specific person, place,
event, etc)
in typed text and adding the DAML markups to reify that reference. That
markup will alter
the rendering of the text to indicate that it references a specific object
and like a URL
it will be made into a hyperlink that the author can traverse to examine the
referenced object
(that exists outside and independent of the document).

We will also provide autocomplete and disambiguation services for such
references identified
in the text.

Hope this helps in clarifying our current thinking on how a Word plug-in
could work to
facilitate and encourage semantic markup without requiring authors to see or
understand DAML.

Regards,
Bob