RE: DAML Finder - Candidate Killer App

From: Lacy . Lee (LLacy@drc.com)
Date: 07/31/01

see comments below:

-----Original Message-----
From: John Flynn
To: Lacy . Lee; daml-apps@daml.org
Cc: Jim Hendler (E-mail); David Martin-McCormick (E-mail)
Sent: 7/31/01 4:32 PM
Subject: RE: DAML Finder - Candidate Killer App

Lee,

It seems the DAML Services should also be a key element of a DAML Finder
lifecycle.
--> maybe eventually, but I'd recommend delaying that.  Services add an
extra dimension of complexity that I don't think is necessary to provide
this basic initial capability (finding things).  If some folks provide
services to assist in performing searches or other functions because it
makes sense...great, but I wouldn't wanna force a services solution if the
problem doesn't require it.  I sorta view services as a killer app itself.

Also, shouldn't regular XML markup be an important piece of the overall
picture? If the ultimate
purpose of a DAML Finder is to find information for people it would need
take advantage of
DAML markup content and XML markup content. Even if everything was
marked
up, the universe
of marked up information would still likely be a mix of DAML+Oil and
plain
XML. I think one of the
key uses of DAML ontologies and their instances may be to provide a rich
context for conducting
searches for data that is actually marked up in XML.
--> I want the "finder" to provide results that could never be determined
with existing (XML) technology.  For example, "find a Dr. within 5 miles of
my house that takes my insurance".  It won't be that hard for people to
"upgrade" their XML into DAML+OIL compliant instance (artifact) data

Can you say some more about the idea of obtaining Search Parameters?
What
are some
examples of Search Parameters and where would you get them from?
--> I envision a "cottage industry" of folks providing specialized user
interfaces that are "user-centered" for various classes of users.  For
example, a stock broker looking for Q2 earnings per share for DRC might use
a more abbreviated form to "find" that data on a web page provided by his
employer.  Whereas a soccer mom trying to find a profitable mid-size defense
contractor to invest in might enter her search criteria through a web page
provided by her brokerage company.  HOW the user interfaces get the query
components (e.g., form filling, drag and drop, pick list) from searching
individuals or even agents should be wide open as long as they somehow get
the key pieces of information that the searching software needs to perform
the search.  Hopefully, sites will compete to provide the most useful user
interface for helping their target audience "find" what they're looking for,
and it'll be transparent that SW technology is being used behind the scenes.

Thanks,
--> thank you!  I hope I understood your questions and that my thoughts are
understandable, Lee

John

John Flynn
(703) 284-4612