Re: ASSERTION, QUESTION, SUGGESTION

From: R.V.Guha (guha@guha.com)
Date: 04/04/02

Having fought and lost (well, at least not won) this battle in the
context of RDF vs XML,  with a bunch of  Netscape's
enterprise customers, a couple of years ago, I'd like to
add my 2 cents.

The minute the issue is framed as anything vs XML, there is
just no chance of winning. Skillions of dollars are being spent
by companies that are trying to outdo each other in professing
their devotion to XML.

I would suggest that we need to have an elevator pitch that explains
rdf/rdfs/daml as adding semantics to XML or making it easier to
develop schemas or something like that. In my view, this is not
a misrepresentation, a clarification.

There is an interesting talk by Hasso Plattner --- who the intended
audience will take very seriously --- where he says that xml just
provides common syntax, but we need semantics. (see
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-869941.html).
.

guha