Re: Disappointment with all of you...

From: Jim Hendler (jhendler@darpa.mil)
Date: 04/25/01

Pat-
  thanks for sharing that with everyone...
  let me be clear-
  the idea of the language is to be a starting place for a lot of
work.  Remember my spiel at the kickoff meeting - we want to coevolve
the language, the tools, and the uses -- but how can we coevolve
without motion?    I made it clear that the tools were the main focus
of the funding, but that we needed to keep moving in the direction of
using this stuff, marking things up, developing ontologies, etc.
When I assigned homeworks, things went well - we went from 0 to 1.2M
statements in a few months.  We then went from 1.2M to 1.2M in a few
months when I stopped requiring the work...  something is wrong with
this picture...
  DARPA's investment in DAML (tools, language, DoD transitions) is
over $60M -- seems to me this is enough that the issue of tools vs.
ontologies had better not be an XOR.
  If the only way to keep things moving is threats and yelling, then
as PM it's my job to do so.  I'm also happy to praise and reward when
good things happen (like Mike's hyperDAML) but seems to me we have a
long way to go, and we need to keep moving fast (remember the bobsled
analogy)...
  Overall I'm pleased with the direction, but the vector seems too
short, and I want to lengthen it before the July meeting, thus the
prodding you've just received.
  -Jim H

--
Prof. James Hendler		Program Manager