This directory contains an
representation of the 2003
CIA World Fact Book.
It replaces the previous
CIA World Fact Book in DAML.
Here is information about the United States in
We processed the
downloadable HTML pages
Notable features include:
- properties are added to existing
FIPS country instances
rather than creating new objects
- information for each country is put on a separate page,
to minimize retrieval time and parallel the HTML representation
- subclasses of
are created and populated for each country
- parenthesized comments about statements are captured using
Structured comments such as
are reified using specific properties.
- unit-of-measure information is associated with numeric properties
- each country is linked to its bordering countries and dependent areas
- countries are linked to shared objects representing
A list of the resulting pages is available
These pages currently total about 134,000 OWL statements.
About 75% of the World Fact Book
are currently being processed.
Possible Future Directions
to systematically capture information that cannot currently be parsed
- extend the unit-of-measure representation to support reasoning about measures
- try to get access to the original database from which the HTML pages were presumably generated
the SGML from the 1995 CIA World Fact Book CD-ROM
for the DARPA HPKB program,
and subsequently made that information available in
DAML+OIL (March 2001)
Each version contains about 37,000 DAML statements.
$Id: index.xml,v 1.13 2003/09/11 06:46:34 mdean Exp $