xsb Candide Kemmler <candide@urbanium.tv>

From: Brandon Amundson (bamundson@bbn.com)
Date: 02/13/02

    Hi,

    (Don't know if this mail will get through to the ml, let's see...).

    I would like to give a try to the XSB-DAML combination in an attempts to
    overcome some limitation of our current design for a services platform
    built around J2EE-SOAP-WSDL and the like.

    Therefore, I'd need a little help from the more experienced guys in this
    field, since I didn't find any teaching material on the path to
    successfull deployment of such a solution.

    If I'm succeeding, I'd like to share back my results so maybe someone
    could benefit from it.

    Today, I've only managed to get XSB and yajxb working, but haven't got
    too many insights on XSB, or even prolog in general. I've found that
    Youyong Zou has already written support for DAML in XSB but the missing
    part is the java program that parses DAML and feeds XSB with the
    appropriate data. Obviously, I'd love to see the code for such a thing,
    if it already exists.

    I'm also wondering if XSB is really considered solid enough to be
    working in a production environment where it might replace the role of
    the traditional RDBMS. In particular, how many facts is it able to take
    into accounts ? And: is the possibility of installing a Oracle or ODBC
    backend in XSB an option to increase the size of the "facts heap" ?

    My current idea is the following:

    Create several DAML ontologies.
    Have custom GUIs to create the DAML instances. Find a way to
    automatically generate them from the ontologies. Let users modify the
    ontologies at will.
    Setup a DAML crawler to record the location of the DAML instances, as
    well as to keep track of what instances belong to what
    ontologies/ontology versions (in case those ontologies evolve).
    Have the crawler feed an XSB engine with the DAML data.
    Send queries to the XSB engine. It would be nice to get back the data in
    DAML for further XSLT processing...

    Thanks very much in advance,

    Candide Kemmler

    --Apple-Mail-3-939161612

[...]