Re: Time ontology in PDDL

From: pat hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 10/24/02

    >>  Axioms 2.2-5 and 2.2-6 imply that *NegInf* is before all time
    >   points, and *PosInf* after, even in branching time.  Is that what
    >   was intended?

    Intended or not, it works OK. Suppose you had a model where each
    branch had its own PosInf: extend it by adding a single PosSuperInf
    which is just past all the PosInf's. Then erase the PosInf's.

    >  > Why do we need both *second* and *sec*?  (etc.)  What does
    >   *DayOfWeek* denote exactly?  I realize that they are introduced in
    >   connection with time intervals that lie on "official" boundaries,
    >   such as next Friday, as opposed to some random 24-hour period.  I
    >   just don't see how the extra temporal units contribute.  If we start
    >   with an "era" (such as CE(..)), and carve intervals out by first
    >   getting the n'th year, then the m'th day of that year, and so forth,
    >   we can use the original units to keep track of how long each
    >   interval is.  That's what happens in my version, which lacks all
    >   temporal units except *second*, *minute*, *hour*, *day*, *week*,
    >   *month*, and *year*.  I could make it look more like the original if
    >   I understood the original.

    What about the day that starts at 3pm on a Thursday and ends at 3pm
    on the following Friday (like the LeMans 24 hour race) ?

    Pat
    IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
    40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
    Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
    FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
    phayes@ai.uwf.edu	          http:/	          http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes