Re: Response to Ian Niles' comments

From: Adam Pease (apease@ks.teknowledge.com)
Date: 04/23/02

    apologies if you receive this more than once.  I'm resending due to an
    error in the list address on the first try

    Folks,
       Ian is on vacation for the next week and a half, and Jerry mentions he
    shortly will be away as well.  I'm excited about all the good content Jerry
    has provided and the substantial agreement between his concepts and
    SUMO.  I'm not deep enough into the issue to respond effectively,
    unfortunately, so we'll have to wait for Ian's return.  Below I've included
    content that Ian generated to support a notion equivalent to Jerry's "hath".

    Adam

    (instance TemporalCompositionFn TemporalRelation)
    (instance TemporalCompositionFn TernaryPredicate)
    (domain TemporalCompositionFn 1 TimeInterval)
    (domainSubclass TemporalCompositionFn 2 TimeInterval)
    (domain TemporalCompositionFn 3 NonnegativeInteger)
    (rangeSubclass TemporalCompositionFn TimeInterval)
    (documentation TemporalCompositionFn "The basic &%Function for expressing
    the composition of larger &%TimeIntervals out of smaller &%TimeIntervals.
    For example, if &%ThisSeptember is an &%instance of &%September,
    (&%TemporalCompositionFn &%ThisSeptember &%Day 30) denotes the &%Class of
    30 consecutive days that make up &%ThisSeptember.")

    (=>
        (equal (TemporalCompositionFn ?INTERVAL ?INTERVAL-TYPE ?NUMBER) ?CLASS)
        (forall (?TIME1 ?TIME2)
           (=>
              (and
                 (instance ?TIME1 ?INTERVAL-TYPE)
                 (instance ?TIME2 ?CLASS))
              (exists (?DURATION)
                 (and
                    (duration ?TIME1 ?DURATION)
                    (duration ?TIME2 ?DURATION))))))

    (=>
        (equal (TemporalCompositionFn ?INTERVAL ?INTERVAL-TYPE ?NUMBER) ?CLASS)
        (equal (CardinalityFn ?CLASS) ?NUMBER))

    (=>
        (equal (TemporalCompositionFn ?INTERVAL ?INTERVAL-TYPE ?NUMBER) ?CLASS)
        (forall (?TIME1 ?TIME2)
           (=>
              (and
                 (instance ?TIME1 ?CLASS)
                 (instance ?TIME2 ?CLASS)
                 (not (equal ?TIME1 ?TIME2)))
              (or
                 (meetsTemporally ?TIME1 ?TIME2)
                 (meetsTemporally ?TIME2 ?TIME1)
                 (earlier ?TIME1 ?TIME2)
                 (earlier ?TIME2 ?TIME1)))))

    (=>
        (equal (TemporalCompositionFn ?INTERVAL ?INTERVAL-TYPE ?NUMBER) ?CLASS)
        (exists (?TIME)
           (and
              (instance ?TIME ?CLASS)
              (starts ?TIME ?INTERVAL))))

    (=>
        (equal (TemporalCompositionFn ?INTERVAL ?INTERVAL-TYPE ?NUMBER) ?CLASS)
        (exists (?TIME)
           (and
              (instance ?TIME ?CLASS)
              (finishes ?TIME ?INTERVAL))))

    (=>
        (equal (TemporalCompositionFn ?INTERVAL ?INTERVAL-TYPE ?NUMBER) ?CLASS)
        (forall (?TIME1)
           (=>
              (and
                 (instance ?TIME1 ?CLASS)
                 (not (finishes ?TIME1 ?INTERVAL)))
              (exists (?TIME2)
                 (and
                    (instance ?TIME2 ?CLASS)
                    (meetsTemporally ?TIME1 ?TIME2))))))

    (=>
        (equal (TemporalCompositionFn ?INTERVAL ?INTERVAL-TYPE ?NUMBER) ?CLASS)
        (forall (?TIME1)
           (=>
              (and
                 (instance ?TIME1 ?CLASS)
                 (not (starts ?TIME1 ?INTERVAL)))
              (exists (?TIME2)
                 (and
                    (instance ?TIME2 ?CLASS)
                    (meetsTemporally ?TIME2 ?TIME1))))))

    (=>
        (equal (TemporalCompositionFn ?INTERVAL ?INTERVAL-TYPE ?NUMBER) ?CLASS)
        (forall (?TIME)
           (=>
              (and
                 (instance ?TIME TimePoint)
                 (temporalPart ?TIME ?INTERVAL))
              (exists (?INSTANCE)
                 (instance ?INSTANCE ?CLASS)
                 (temporalPart ?TIME ?INSTANCE)))))

    At 09:04 PM 4/17/2002 -0700, Jerry Hobbs wrote:
> [...]
    > > > and second.  It is useful to define a predication for this.
    > > >
    > > >          time-of(t,y,m,d,h,n,s,z)
    > > >              <-->
    >in-interval(t,secFn(s,minFn(n,hrFn(h,daFn(d,monFn(m,yrFn(y,CE(z))))))))
    > > >
    > > > For example, an instant t has the time
    > > >
    > > >          5:14:35pm PST, Wednesday, February 6, 2002
    > > >
    > > > if the following properties hold for t:
    > > >
    > > >          time-of(t,2002,2,6,17,14,35,*PST*)
    > > >          (E w,x)[in-interval(t,w) & Wednesday(w,x)]
    > > >
    > > > The second line says that t is in the Wednesday w of some week x.
    >
    > > Time in the SUMO is expressed with the cascading time
    > > functions ('SecondFn', 'MinuteFn', 'HourFn', etc.) and the
    > > 'RelativeTimeFn' function (if one intends a time zone other
    > > than coordinated universal time).
    >
    >My aim with time-of was to provide a way of specifying dates that is
    >very close to the forms we all know and love, e.g., things like the
    >"Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:10:45 -0700" that we see in the headers of our
    >email.  I would think it would hinder widespread adoption if the only
    >way to specify dates involved nested parenthese to a depth of 8.  But
    >I know you are against introducing predicates for merely
    >presentational purposes.  A matter for further debate.

    > > >                             5.  Deictic Time
    > > >
    > > > Deictic temporal concepts, such as ``now'', ``today'', ``tomorrow
    > > > night'', and ``last year'', are more common in natural language texts
    > > > than they will be in descriptions of Web resources, and for that
    > > > reason we are postponing a development of this domain until the first
    > > > three are in place.  But since most of the content on the Web is in
    > > > natural language, ultimately it will be necessary for this ontology to
    > > > be developed.  It should, as well, mesh well with the annotation
    > > > standards used in automatic tagging of text.
    > > >
    > > > We expect that the key concept in this area will be a relation
    > > > _now_ between an instant and an utterance or document.
    > > >
    > > >          now(t,d)
    > > >
    > > > The concept of "today" would also be relative to a document, and would
    > > > be defined as follows:
    > > >
    > > >          today(T,d) <--> (E t,n,x)[now(t,d) & in-interval(t,T) &
    > da(T,n,x)]
    > > >
    > > > That is, T is today with respect to document d if and only if there is
    > > > an instant t in T that is now with respect to the document and T is a
    > > > calendar day (and thus the nth calendar day in some interval x).
    > > >
    > > > Present, past and future can be defined in the obvious way in terms of
    > > > now and before.
    >
    > > Since "now" is such a problematic notion, we believe it's preferable
    > > to define past and future in terms of other concepts.  This is
    > > the approach we have taken in the SUMO, where past and future
    > > are relative to the temporal extent of a process or object.
    >
    >I am more confident than you that problems with "now" can be worked
    >out, and I think the notion of a time of composition or validity of a
    >web page is an essential notion to have in DAML, but I agree that
    >dealing with aggregates of temporal entities should have more priority

    Adam Pease
    Teknowledge
    (650) 424-0500 x571