Re: DAML-Spatial Primitives

From: Pete Haglich (phaglic@isx.com)
Date: 03/10/03

    On Monday, Mar 10, 2003, at 15:54 US/Eastern, Adam Pease wrote:

    > Pete,
    >   I like the idea of a variable grained ontology.  What I would
    > caution against is creating one ontology that has cities as points and
    > another that has cities as regions.

    I concur with that.

    > One could have an ontology that correctly represents cities as regions
    > and also has a predicate that allows one to state a connectedness
    > value for them.

    It will be interesting to see how that will work in DAML or OWL.

    The same ontology could have a function to give the default center
    point or address of a city in order to handle situations where a
    point-based representation is desired.

    Probably a collection of functions:  Municipal center, centroid, etc.