FW: Exclusive Preview of Our Premier Issue !

From: John Flynn (jflynn@bbn.com)
Date: 11/04/01

FYI

John Flynn
(703) 284-4612
DAML Integration and Transition PM
BBN Technologies

-----Original Message-----
From: Digital Edition [mailto:WebServicesJournal@sys-con.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 5:34 PM
To: Web Services Journal
Subject: Exclusive Preview of Our Premier Issue !

 <http://www.sys-con.com/2001/sub.cfm>
Newsletter
WSJ News
Table of Contents
In This Issue...
Subscribe Now !
Privacy Notice
  _____

WSJList
Join the WSJList now to monitor the pulse of the Web Services industry !
Subscribe to the WSJList:

  _____

WSJ2.com
Buyer's Guide <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/cs.cfm>
WSJ Forums <http://www.sys-con.com/forums/index.cfm?cfapp=12>
WSJ Jobs <http://sys-con.tech-engine.com/>
WSJ Store <http://www.jdjstore.com/>
Advertise <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/advertise.cfm>
Customer Service <https://www.icnfull.com/syscon/webservadrc.htm>
Editorial Board <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/editboard.cfm>
Subscribe <http://www.sys-con.com/2001/sub.cfm>
Archives <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/archives.cfm>
Digital Edition <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/digital.cfm>
Editorial <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/editorials.cfm>
Features <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/features.cfm>
Interviews <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/interviews.cfm>
Product Reviews <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/prodreviews.cfm>
Source Code <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/source2.cfm>
Volume: 1 Issue: 1 - Monday, November 5, 2001
This Issue Has Been E-Mailed to 344,280 Readers
SYS-CON Media Introduces Web Services Journal...
SYS-CON Media announced today the debut of its premier issue of Web Services
Journal, the world's first print and online magazine devoted exclusively to
the newest and most pervasive computing paradigm since the arrival of the
Web itself. ( continued...
<http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/010924/03032143_1.html> )

FLAMENCO NETWORKS
Looking at Web services? You need to see the Flamenco Web services network
and find out how to cut the time and costs associated with implementing
business-class Web services by up to 80%. Visit
http://www.sys-con.com/email/flamenco1031.cfm and download the white paper,
"Web Services and the Need for Web Services Networks."
Web Services Edge 2001 West Becomes the Most
Significant Web Services Event of the Year
 <http://www.sys-con.com/xmledge>

The hottest buzz on Web services took place at the Web Services Edge 2001
West conference during the Web Services CEO Panel discussion. Panel
participants: Annrai O'Toole, Chairman, Cape Clear; Sean Rhody, panel
moderator and editor-in-chief, Web Services Journal; Dirk Slama, CEO, Shinka
Technologies; Greg O'Connor, President, Sonic Software; Ali Kutay, founder
of WebLogic and CEO, AltoWeb; Eileen Richardson, President and CEO,Infravio;
and Barry Morris, CEO, Iona Technologies.

The panel discussion will be available in its entirety at SYS-CON Television
on Monday, November 5 2001, at the conference Web site.

 WSJ NEWS <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/readerschoice>

Web Services Journal Opens Nominations for First Reader's Choice Awards.
Winners to be Announced at Web Services Edge 2002 Conference & Expo
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/readerschoice>

<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/readerschoice>
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/readerschoice>
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/readerschoice> (October 30, 2001) -
Nominations are now open for the first annual Web Services Journal (WSJ)
Readers' Choice Awards. These awards, often referred to as the "Oscars of
the software industry," will be given in 21 areas related to the entire
spectrum of Web services. Web Services Journal is the only magazine focused
completely on Web Services, and is uniquely positioned to cover .NET, J2EE,
and other related technologies, rather than a single platform. (
continued... <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/readerschoice> )

VERISIGN - THE INTERNET TRUST COMPANY
Upgrade your server security to 128-bit SSL encryption! Get VeriSign's FREE
guide, "Securing Your Web Site for Business." You will learn everything you
need to know about using 128-bit SSL to encrypt your e- commerce
transactions for serious online security. Click here!
http://www.sys-con.com/email/verisign1025.cfm

 TABLE OF CONTENTS

Web Services CEO's Speak Out
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=51>  (WSJ)

The Business Transaction Protocol
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=55>  (Tyler Jewell)

A World of Web Services
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=56>  (Sean Rhody)

Web Services or Peer-to-Peer
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=57>  (Oisin Hurley)

Integration Server 1.2
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=58>  (Joe Mitchko)

Groundhog Day <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=59>
(Norbert Mikula)

Silverstream eXtend™: Talking with a Web Leader
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=60>  (WSJ)

Sending Out-of-Band Messages to SOAP-Based Web Services
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=61>  (Mark Moore)

Deriving SOAP <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=62>  (Ali
Solehdin)

Bridging the Web Services Divide
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=63>  (Mani Chandy, Ph.D.)

What's Online <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=64>  (WSJ)

Web Services and Distributed Component Platforms, Part 1
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=65>  (Boris Lubinsky and
Michael Farrell)

Building Web Services Using Microsoft.net
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=66>  (Jonathan Cortez)

Web Services: What Does It Take?
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=67>  (Eilon Reshef)

Rethinking Web Services, Pert 1
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=68>  (Kurt Cagle)

Web Services Made Easy
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=69>  (Graham Glass)

What Can Web Services Learn From P2P?
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=70>  (Clay Shirky)

Web Services News <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=71>
(WSJ)

A Web Services Success Story
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=72>  (Sean Rhody)

ATTUNITY - FROM LEGACY TO WEB SERVICES...
Use Attunity's Web Service-Oriented Integration to transform your legacy
applications and data into Web Services. Rapidly generate Web Services using
more than 128 pre-built connectors to virtually any data source on platforms
including 0S/390, 0S/400, Tandem, OpenVMS, UNIX and Windows. See what the
industry is saying:
http://www.sys-con.com/email/attunity19a.cfm
--- Download:
http://www.sys-con.com/email/attunity19b.cfm

 INSIDE WSJ OCTOBER <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/readerschoice>

View the Complete Issue
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/archivesc.cfm?volume=01&Issue=01>
Download Source Code
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/source2.cfm?volume=01&issue=01>
Download WSJ October .PDF <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/pdf/soap.pdf>

 BUSINESS BASICS <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=76>

Web Services Fundamentals: From Whence It Came
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=76> by Phil Karecki

As the trend towards Web services moves forward, it becomes more important
that we understand its roots and origination. Subjects such as Web services,
which have a tendency to be technologically discussed, should be viewed from
a business angle wherever possible. In particular, the real possibilities of
Web services can best be grasped when its foundation and the business needs
for it are well understood. With some luck, as my background is technology,
I'll be able to shed some light on why this trend has become so powerful and
why it now has a chance to succeed in business. (continued...)
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=76>

EJIP.NET - THE ENTERPRISE JAVA INTERNET PROVIDER
*** PUT YOUR J2EE APP ON THE WEB IN FIVE MINUTES - FOR FREE!!!***
Ejip.Net is offering a free 30-day evaluation of its revolutionary J2EE
Hosting Service. The fully-functioning on-line trial allows you to upload
and deploy JSP's, Servlets, and EJB's to your choice of leading web,
application, and database servers within minutes. Sign up now to access your
free trial:
http://www.sys-con.com/email/ejip1031.cfm

 COVER STORY <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=66>

Building Web Services Using Microsoft .NET
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=66> by Jonathan Cortez
 <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=66>
Microsoft .NET is the key enabling technology for Microsoft's vision of
software as a service. The .NET Framework is the overall infrastructure that
provides developers with a platform to create programs that transcend device
boundaries and fully harness the connectivity of the Internet. In this
article, I'll illustrate how easy it is to build and use Web services using
the .NET Framework SDK. (continued...)
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=66>

 INDUSTRY INSIGHT <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=84>

JAXM: Interoperable SOAP Communications for the Java Platform
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=84> by Dave Chappell

The Java API for XML Messaging (JAXM) is a new Java application programming
interface (API) that provides a standard way for Java applications to send
and receive Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) messages. The basic idea is
to allow developers to spend more time building, sending, receiving, and
deconstructing messages for their applications and less time programming
low-level XML communications routines. Developed through the Java Community
Process, JAXM provides a simple yet flexible standard API for developing and
deploying SOAP-based applications that can be truly interoperable with
applications developed on other platforms. (continued...)
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=84>

 FEATURE <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=74>

Content Management & Web Services
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=74> by Una Kearns

Over the course of the last year, we've all read many articles on Web
services and the various standards forming to address the different levels
of the Web services stack (SOAP, UDDI, WSDL, ebXML). The stock quote example
is becoming as recognized as "Hello World" from our introductory programming
books. From responses to a recent poll in an online magazine, it is evident
that there is still confusion over what Web services actually are and how
they can be used effectively by organizations. (continued...)
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=74>

 TECHNOLOGY <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=81>

Information Syndication Using Web Services
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=81> by Darren Govoni

Current trends in IT and business computing indicate an evolution toward the
dynamic exchange of business information, market intelligence, and
commercial transactions. Technology standards such as XML have provided the
common language needed to interoperate effectively across networks and
systems. (continued...)
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=81>

 INDUSTRY INSIGHT <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=79>

Mission Critical Web Services
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=79> by Norbert Mikula

Web services are a great vision to talk about. as evidenced by the
increasing number of companies declaring themselves the leader in the Web
services market. Hype aside, just as with XML, sooner or later we'll all
realize there's no Web services market per se but only ways to apply Web
services as part of B2B machine-to-machine integration, enterprise portals,
knowledge management, marketplaces, self-service forms, and so on. In other
words, what we need to focus on is how to use Web services to solve specific
technical problems rather than getting excited about new and more dynamic
"plumbing." (continued...)
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=79>

 EDITORIAL <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=83>

Web Services Edge 2001 - The Show Goes On
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=83> by Sean Rhody

The software industry returned to New York City with the International Java
& Web Services Conference and Expo at the Hilton New York. In spite of what
many thought might prove insurmountable obstacles, the international
software industry has provided New York City today with a resounding
indication that heavy hearts and thoughts are not to be permitted to become
a barrier to returning to the business of business, including the Internet
technology business. (continued...)
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=83>

 ANOTHER VIEW <http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=85>

The Real Niche for Web Services: Part 2
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=85> by Kurt Cagle

Last month, in Part 1 of this article, I cautioned about the potential
invasiveness of Web services. It's a scary thought that companies could have
that much personal information about their customers, but I added then that
there are some advantages to Web services, especially in the area of
business-to-business. This month I focus on these advantages. (continued...)
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=85>

 SUBSCRIBE NOW AND SAVE ! <https://www.icnfull.com/scp/scpnewsubsc.htm?WSJ>

 <https://www.icnfull.com/scp/scpnewsubsc.htm?WSJ>
Web Services Journal: <https://www.icnfull.com/scp/scpnewsubsc.htm?WSJ>
[Cover Price: $6.99]
Subscription Price Includes FREE WSJ2 Digital Edition
*  Two Years / 24 issues - USA - $125 (SAVE $42.76!)
*  One Year / 12 issues - USA - $69.99 (SAVE $13.89!)
*  One Year - Canada & Mexico (airmail) - $99.99
*  One Year - All Other Countries (airmail) - $129.99
*  Sample Issue: $12 (plus shipping & handling)

 WHAT'S COMING UP IN THE NEXT ISSUE

CHECK YOUR INBOX ON NOVEMBER 15, 2001 !
WSJ’s next issue includes articles by Sonic Software's Dave Chappell on
JAXM, the Java API for XML messaging; DataChannel's Norbert Mikula on
mission-critical Web Services; Darren Govoni on Information Syndication;
Kurt Cagle on the Real Niche for Web Services; Noel Clarke on Web Services
as a "Middle-Mile" solution; and Brian Barbash’s product review of
CapeConnect Two for J2EE by Cape Clear. The cover story of this issue
features Content Management & Web Services, written by Una Kearns. Sean
Rhody’s editorial talks about “The Information Paradox,” and in his “From
the Industry” column, Steve Benfield, Web Services Edge Conference
tech-chair and CTO of SilverStream, sheds light on What’s Happening in Web
Services?

 WSJ2.COM LIST PRIVACY NOTICE
<http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/article.cfm?id=83>

Web Services Journal and SYS-CON Media ** DO NOT DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL
INFORMATION ** to outside parties UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. We do ask you if
you are interested in receiving relevant information or offers from other
Web Services vendors via email. You may choose to receive this information
or easily "unsubscribe" from the "WSJOPTIN LIST" NOT TO RECEIVE any emails
from Web Services Journal outside your monthly newsletter. If you choose to
receive additional information besides your monthly newsletters, this
information is sent to you directly by WSJ. If you choose to not receive
other information from us, this WILL NOT AFFECT your regular "Digital
Edition" or "WSJ Archives" subscriptions. If you choose to discontinue your
"Digital Edition" or "WSJ Archives" subscriptions, you may also do this by
simply unsubscribing to "WSJ Digital Edition" or "WSJ Archives" any time
during your subscription period. When you send us your "unsubscribe" request
to each of our offerings such as "WSJ Digital Edition," "WSJ Archives" or
"WSJ Buyer's Guide", YOUR RECORD GETS PERMANENTLY REMOVED from these
databases as we receive your remove requests. Thank you for your continuing
support and please let us know how we can help to serve you better!
---
You are currently subscribed to conference as: jflynn@bbn.com
leave-conference-850670K@mailbox.sys-con.com