Re: Some questions/comments on the DAML draft (no operators)

From: Lynn Andrea Stein (las@ai.mit.edu)
Date: 10/16/00

Ah, one where I can clarify:

Dan Connolly writes:
> In what way is
> 	The class C is the disjoint union of the classes
> 	in the list L.
> not an assertion?

[Full context of the quotation below.]

(*) 	The class C is the disjoint union of the classes
 	in the list L.
is an assertion.

However, the clause
 	the disjoint union of the classes in the list L.
is not an assertion and may be meaningless.

I believe that Pat (Hayes) means to be asking what C is asserted (by
(*)) to be in this case.

I believe that Dan's answer would be that the assertion (*) is false.

An alternative answer might be that the assertion (*) is true, but
that "disjoint union" of a non-disjoint class set is ill-defined,
e.g., that (*) is asserting that C is some special "error object".
This is a more operational way to interpret the assertion (*).

Dan and Pat (and everyone else), did I put the right words into your
mouths?

                                             Lynn