Re: Question about DAML Ex Ontology

From: Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Date: 10/09/00

[Is there any particular reason this comment
was sent to the project-confidential forum?]

York Sure wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have questions regarding your example ontololgy in daml:
>
> <rdf:RDF
>   xmlns:rdf ="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>   xmlns     ="http://www.daml.org/2000/10/daml-ont#"
>   xmlns:daml="http://www.daml.org/2000/10/daml-ont#"
>   >

> what do you mean by:
>
>   xmlns     ="http://www.daml.org/2000/10/daml-ont#"

>From the documentation:

[[[
The second declaration says that in this document, unprefixed element
names should be
understood as referring to things drawn from the namespace called
http://www.daml.org/2000/10/daml-ont#.
]]]

-- Annotated DAML Ontology Markup
http://www.daml.org/2000/10/daml-walkthru#Setting
Sat, 07 Oct 2000 02:35:23 GMT

See also the suggested reading on namespaces:

	XML Namespaces by Example
            by Tim Bray Jan. 19, 1999 in XML.com
	Namespace Myths Exploded
            by Ronald Bourret Mar. 8, 2000 in XML.com

	-- http://www.daml.org/2000/10/daml-walkthru#References

> And another question: why don't you reference the rdfs-namespace?
> For example:
>
>   xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/PR-rdf-schema-19990303#"

It does, indirectly:
daml-ex imports daml-ont, and daml-ont imports RDFS.
daml:equivalentTo is used to make daml:Class
another name for rdfs:Class and such.