RE: VisioDAML

From: Hart, Lewis (lhart@grci.com)
Date: 08/30/01

John - Here are some general comments:

1. I would change the symbols indicating Classes (green) and Properties
(blue) slightly. First, I would remove the line between multiple types.
(e.g. shirtsize) Then every thing above the line is a type, and the ID is
below. I would also use different shapes instead of color to differentiate
Classes and Properties. Not every one has a color printer and some folks
have color blindness. This is not too important for 'first order' entities
that have "Class" or "Property" in in there type names, but second order
entities could be confusing. For example, you can not tell directly that a
Restriction is a Class.

2. Literals and Instances need to be differentiated. "short", "medium", and
"tall" are instances of the Class Height, but "1" and "2" are untyped
Literals. They should use different symbols. Also, instances need to
indicate what class/property they are an instances of and perhaps use
different symbols for instances of classes vs instances of properties.
(Maybe dashed versions of the Class and Property symbols?)

3. I did not see the instance of a typed literal  (e.g. <xsd:integer
rdf:value="13"/> ) in your diagram. You need a symbol for these. Maybe the
symbol for Literal with a type and separator line like Class and Property.

4. I also did not see a symbol for the ontology itself anywhere, but you
will need to differentiate ontologies if there are multiple ones being used.

5. Multiple ontologies and namespaces need to be handled better. How does
the viewer know what ontology/namespace "over12" comes from? How do I know
that "over12" is not part of XSD?  For that matter, how do I know what XSD:
is? I would recommend that:
     - full URIs be used to identify "external" elements, or something
analogous to
       xmlns:xsd ="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema#" be available.
     - the term "URI" in the type slot be replaced with the actual type
       (and use the correct shaped symbol) or left blank for unknown and
    - dashed lines be omitted, just use the regular symbols.