RE: revised UML profile for DAML

From: Hart, Lewis (lhart@grci.com)
Date: 01/24/01

The mapping which I have posted is primarily for UML to DAML. This mappings
is many to one, that is there are several UML situations which are mapped
into the single DAML Property. Typical of a many to one mapping, the inverse
mapping looses some information. For a given DAML property, it is not
apparent from the DAML alone what UML elements resulted in that property.
Clearly, the reverse mapping is free to pick any one of the UML
representations that are semantically equivalent. The I believe this
prevents the unbounded situation, though the UML representation will not be
identical.

Consider the "child" and "mother" roles of the "Parent" association found at
link [1], and shown crudely below.  Starting from one UML binary association
with two roles:

         child                   mother
[Person] -------- Parent> -------------[Woman]

it is mapped/transformed into three DAML properties(ignoring cardinality,
domain and range):

<Property id="child"/>
<Property id="mother">
  <subPropertyOf resource = "Parent"/>
</Property>
<Property id="Parent"/>

The inverse transformation could result in three associations without roles
and a generalization between stereotyped classes:

[      ] -----------mother> ---------- [     ]
[person] ---------- Parent> ---------- [Woman]
[      ] --------- <child ------------ [     ]

[<<Property>>]                            [<<Property>>]
[   mother   ] ---- generalization > ---- [   Parent   ]

I do not see how this results in an unbounded situation, since both of these
UML representations result in identical DAML when transformed.

Furthermore, I think it is unreasonable for UML<->DAML transformations to be
totally reversible. That is, if UML1 is transformed into DAML1 and then back
to UML2, then UML1 will be not identical to UML2. What I believe should be
true is that if the transform is applied again to UML2 to produce DAML2,
then DAML1 and DAML2 should be identical. This defines semantic equivalence
for UML models with respect to DAML.

Regards - Lewis

[1]
http://grcinet.grci.com/maria/www/codipsite/UML/UML_Properties.htm#_example