OWL is a W3C Candidate Recommendation

From: mgreaves (mgreaves@darpa.mil)
Date: 08/21/03

    Colleagues,

    As most of you already know, OWL was officially moved by the W3C into
    Candidate Recommendation status.  See www.w3c.org <www.w3c.org>  for
    details.  This is a huge win for the program and for DARPA.  My
    congratulations to Jim and Murray for their leadership, and to all the DAML
    program participants who did the heavy lifting to make this happen.  Nice
    work!

    Now that OWL is the standard, I think it is important for all of the
    ontologies, software, tools, etc., that are funded by the DAML program to be
    converted from DAML+OIL to OWL.  This is something that Murray directed at
    the last PI meeting, and I want to reiterate it.  At the October PI meeting
    I would like all active program software and ontologies to be fully OWL.
    (After the PI meeting, anything that is on the DAML website and not OWL will
    be moved off and archived.)  In addition to transitioning the DAML community
    to the new standard, the OWL software and ontologies that we produce can
    also help supply the evidence of concrete implementation that the W3C needs
    to move OWL the next step from Candidate Recommendation.  The conversion
    itself should be quite easy given the massive overlap between DAML+OIL and
    OWL, but if you need questions answered or tool support for the conversion
    please email Mike Dean (mdean@bbn.com) and he can assist you.

    Again, great job everyone.

    Thanks,
    Mark