RE: ASSERTION, QUESTION, SUGGESTION - final draft

From: Gio Wiederhold (gio@db.stanford.edu)
Date: 04/10/02

Adam,
   Perhaps you did not get my comment?
I feel quite strongly about the first point.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:37:04 PDT
From: Gio Wiederhold <gio@Hake.Stanford.EDU>
To: tim finin <finin@cs.umbc.edu>
Cc: Adam Pease <apease@ks.teknowledge.com>, daml-all@daml.org
Subject: Re: ASSERTION, QUESTION, SUGGESTION

Adam's example is great start.

To convince DARPA's customers it would be nice to give an example from
logistics, for instance one  where similar part assemblies are needed
in a system?
In general, the motivation is to make E-commerce reliable, and move
 from browse, read, and paste to automation.
Can the propery attribute help there?

Btw., limiting expressive power is not a hindrance, if it doesn't
limit the customer.  Databases were successful largely because the
relational model was simple and clear to its customers.

When research databases added recursion it excited the academics, but
did nothing much for the customers.  I recall the VLDB paper that
started "Since no-one can be his own father .. ". I sent the author
a tape of the country jingle `He's his own Grampa .. which goes on
telling how the son married the widder of the father, etc.'. One
counterexample can kill any theorem ... .

Gio

Making examples that require extrapolation from what looks like
a toy problem to the problems that our intended audience and funders are
facing makes us look as we are playing in a private sandbox.

Gio

/Gio Wiederhold/
http://www-db.stanford.edu/people/gio.html