Re: ASSERTION, QUESTION, SUGGESTION

From: Pat Hayes (phayes@ai.uwf.edu)
Date: 04/05/02

>Joe,
>   One very brief answer to why use DAML as opposed to XML is that a
>set of DAML statements by itself (and the DAML spec) can allow you
>to conclude another DAML statement whereas a set of XML statements,
>by itself (and the XML spec) does not allow you to conclude any
>other DAML statements.  To employ XML to generate new data, you need
>knowledge embedded in some procedural code somewhere, rather than
>explicitly stated, as in DAML.
>   For example, the triples
>
>(motherOf subProperty parentOf)
>(Mary motherOf Bill)
>
>when stated in DAML, allows you to conclude
>
>(Mary parentOf Bill)
>
>based on the logical definition of "subProperty" as given in the
>DAML spec.  The same information stated in XML does not allow you to
>assert the third fact.  XML itself provides no semantics for its
>tags.  One might create a program that assigns similar semantics to
>a "subProperty" tag, but since that semantics isn't part of the XML
>spec, applications could be written which conform to the XML spec,
>and yet do not make that assertion.
>
>Adam

Adam, right on. One niggle: that particular inference can be done in
RDFS, so it doesnt argue very well for the use of DAML specifically.
I think a better example would be one with an equivalentTo
conclusion.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax