Re: ASSERTION, QUESTION, SUGGESTION

From: joe rockmore (rockmore@cyladian.com)
Date: 04/03/02

david brings up an excellent point, one that i have been asking
(mainly to mike dean) since the program start.  however, i think his
problem statement is not quite right, and his potential solution is
not what i would recommend.  i wouldn't state the problem as, "why
should i use DAML + OIL," but rather, "what does DAML + OIL provide
to me over XML + XML schema + RDF + RDF schema," i.e., over the web
languages already being developed and used.  and the solution of a
white paper, while valuable, in my opinion must be combined with a
short and to-the-point (e.g., one sentence) answer to the question.

when i have asked various people variations on this question, i have
gotten long answers, good examples, language constructs in DAML + OIL
that are not in XML + ..., etc.  but what i have not gotten, and i
could seriously use in my current dealings, is a straightforward and
short explanation of the value added.  the scientific american
article, and many other documents, give great explanations of what
good the semantic web is, which the naive person (who, for instance,
only knows XML or HTML) buys, but the sophisticated person who knows
RDF and all the W3C work is harder to convince without this clear
value-added statement (especially if he is cynical or doesn't want to
be convinced, like the people i am dealing with now).  he can be
convinced with much more info, such as in the white paper david
suggests, but i still think a one-liner would be valuable to get him
to read the details.

just my 2 cents.

      ...joe

a. joseph rockmore, phd       -|-        cyladian technology consulting
873  santa  cruz  avenue,  suite 204,  menlo park,  ca    94025-4629
voice 650/614-3791 -|- fax 650/326-1699 -|- cell/pager 650/714-5696
short email to cell/pager       -|-      <16507145696@pacbellpcs.net>
web site url                      -|-
http://www.cyladian.com